Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nematanthus or Lipstick

Posted by MichMatt z5 ON_Ottawa (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 05 at 20:52

I got 2 plants with a generic "lipstick vine" tag. My other lipsticks are different - trailing varieties. The two on the picture are upright plants. One with dark green glossy tops and dark burgundy under leaves rather small in size . Flowers are orange and dark red "goldfish type"- 1inch long.
The other " lipstick " has beautiful bright red and orange flowers and is in bloom for over a month now with those 2 flowers. I'm looking for some tips regarding watering and light requirements.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nematanthus or Lipstick

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 17, 05 at 21:23

The one on the left is an aeschynanthus and the one on the right is a nematanthus. Really the term "lipstick plant" should only refer to the types of aeschynanthus (lobbianus, pulcher, 'Pullobia', radicans etc.) that have those longish tubular waxy calyxes, from which the corollas emerge, like a lipstick. The one you have has a very small calyx so I just call them aeschynanthus. Nematanthus are getting stuck with "lipstick" now that EA is marketing plants galore, with bad names ad naseum. Oh well, whatch gonna do?

They both are fairly high light plants that like to be kept evenly moist. Both are epiphytes and both like intermediate conditions. Nematanthus grow outdoors here, as they take temperatures down to about 32 or less in winter (for short periods of time over night). Most aeschynanthus are much more tender.

Jon

o
RE: Nematanthus or Lipstick

Thank you Jon for your info. Do you know the names? I have checked some websites - but the varieties look so alike that is difficult to pick the right name. Is my nematanthus called "Tropicana"?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here