Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suckers on florist gloxinia

Posted by alenka PA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 07 at 22:12

I started a few florist goxinias from leaves, and now I have plants, some bigger, some smaller, with 6-10 leaves on each. On all of the plants, I see little suckers growing in the junctions above most of the leaves. Some of the leaves have what looks like little buds forming, but most of them have tiny bunches of leaves forming, so I'm guessing these are suckers. I know it's better to remove these on african violets, but what about florist gloxinias? The suckers aren't really growing, just kind of sitting there, very tiny. Should I remove them? Also, if there is a little sucker growing, does it mean there won't be flowers from that leaf junction? Does it mean the plants were stressed out in some way if suckers are forming, or is it normal for florist gloxinias?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suckers on florist gloxinia

If you will write to my address, robitaillenancy1@hotmail.com, I will send you an article on Florists' Glozinia.

You can allow the suckers to grow but this my take some of the energy from the plant. The suckers will not likely have flowers until they are quite large.

Some of these have several suckers which are large enough for flowering why you buy the plant.

If you were going to put this into a show, judges would not count off points for suckers on it. It may be grown either with a single crown or with several.

Nancy

o
RE: suckers on florist gloxinia

Nancy, thank you for the explanation! And thanks for offering to send me an article -- I'm sending you an e-mail right away.
-Lena

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here