Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating gloxinia in jar of water - updates!!

Posted by mukaketupat Malaysia (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 1:58

Some people in the forum have asked if we could propagate gloxinia in a jar of water. Well, so i decided to experiment. After 2 weeks, finally, the roots are starting to grow. Yay! For images click here - http://pokok.gejala.org/2007/mukaketupat/propagation/propagation-updates-gloxinia-mint/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating gloxinia in jar of water - updates!!

Oh yes, it works :) You should be getting a swelling at the base which will become a lumpy tuber before long.

Here's a picture from several years ago when I discovered that old bloom stalks propagate as well as leaves (and you don't have to tear the plant up apart!)

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Vincent

Here is a link that might be useful: Pedicel propagation (in case pic doesn't show above)

o

vincent!! oh wow!! thank you for this. i really cant wait! :)

o

forgive me for not catching on completely...

does this mean to put stems into water after they are DONE blooming ? If so I shall do this with mine. You asked for other colors, I would be willing to share, I have a mix of colors.

o

Wow, it looks fantastic! I will try it next time. Thanks for sharing the pix.

Xuan

o

Huh. I didn't realize it's been over a year since checking in here...

About the above question, yes, I gathered the stems after the flowers faded. Some even had seeds forming, which ripened and were viable. That didn't seem to slow down the tubers any. Later on, I started some to pot up in small pots by themselves, they made cute funny looking little star shaped plants. After they eventually went dormant, of course they grew back as regular clones of the plants they came from.

Thinking back, I honestly can't remember what possessed me to stick old flowers in water like that! The ones in the scan above were a couple of compact ones from the Gesneriad Society mixed seeds, which turned out to be fragrant. Hope I can find more someday when I have a place to grow plants again.

I never did get any other gesneriads to do this, except the occasional african violet.

Vincent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here