Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing sinningia concinna?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 8:05

(I'll post this on the regular 'wanted' site too.)

If anyone's willing to swap a few leaves of this, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!

--Rick in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing sinningia concinna?

Rick -

it will not grow from leaves. You need seeds or tuber.

Normally if you start with one - and they do grow in terrarium only - you end with a clump of them - so you can separate the clump and get baby plants.

Members of the Gesneriad Society have an access to a seed fund for a nominal fee. Since you are interested in different and difficult gessies - consider joining this great group of people.

I am not sure that the seeds for this difficult plant are available. But - There is a Chapter of the Gesneriad society in CT - you probably get the best shot at contacting them and checking if members grow it and will give you a starter.

Good luck

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: chapters

o

They won't grow from leaves? You'll have to explain that to me. I was transplanting muscicola seedlings a few weeks ago and had a few leaves that fell off but were in good shape, which I also planted in a terrarium environment. They seem to be establishing themselves, even though it's slow going. Thanks for the heads-up--Y'know I'll have to try at least once, if I can just get my hands on one!

--Rr

o

Rr -

I cannot guarantee that they will not grow from leaves. But the chance is small. S. muscicola is a cast iron plant in comparison. Plus - if you take a leaf from your plant and stick it in the soil now - it makes a great difference. The leaf that is shipped across the country - loses a lot of its viability.

I.

o

rredbbeard this may be a little late, but i purchased a tuber of sinningia concinna on ebay from a grower. Lets hope it turns out to be one. It's been three months and the little guy just popped it's head out. You may want to look on ebay to see what's available. Otherwise if I'm actually successful at growing this (i'm a newbie) I would gladly share (since it seems there's not currently a listing for one on ebay) I would still keep an eye out for new listings. Hope that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here