Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Anyone growing sinningia concinna?

rredbbeard
10 years ago

(I'll post this on the regular 'wanted' site too.)

If anyone's willing to swap a few leaves of this, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!

--Rick in CT

Comments (6)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Rick -

it will not grow from leaves. You need seeds or tuber.

Normally if you start with one - and they do grow in terrarium only - you end with a clump of them - so you can separate the clump and get baby plants.

Members of the Gesneriad Society have an access to a seed fund for a nominal fee. Since you are interested in different and difficult gessies - consider joining this great group of people.

I am not sure that the seeds for this difficult plant are available. But - There is a Chapter of the Gesneriad society in CT - you probably get the best shot at contacting them and checking if members grow it and will give you a starter.

Good luck

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: chapters

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They won't grow from leaves? You'll have to explain that to me. I was transplanting muscicola seedlings a few weeks ago and had a few leaves that fell off but were in good shape, which I also planted in a terrarium environment. They seem to be establishing themselves, even though it's slow going. Thanks for the heads-up--Y'know I'll have to try at least once, if I can just get my hands on one!

--Rr

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Rr -

I cannot guarantee that they will not grow from leaves. But the chance is small. S. muscicola is a cast iron plant in comparison. Plus - if you take a leaf from your plant and stick it in the soil now - it makes a great difference. The leaf that is shipped across the country - loses a lot of its viability.

I.

• frogprincesss
    10 years ago

rredbbeard this may be a little late, but i purchased a tuber of sinningia concinna on ebay from a grower. Lets hope it turns out to be one. It's been three months and the little guy just popped it's head out. You may want to look on ebay to see what's available. Otherwise if I'm actually successful at growing this (i'm a newbie) I would gladly share (since it seems there's not currently a listing for one on ebay) I would still keep an eye out for new listings. Hope that helps.

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    8 years ago

FP--how did your little plant do for you? Drop me a PM sometime?

Rick

• CE Wade
    7 years ago

I have what appears to be S. concinna--it was found unlabeled at a local retailer and has slowly been taking over a section of my paludarium. Now that I've lowered my light levels it's finally blooming. Feel free to PM me for a pic or more info.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting