Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to petrocosmea...

Posted by froeschli 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 8:43

I just bought two petrocosmea at the avsc convention yesterday p. minor and p. cryptica. They are both quite small still, not quite spreading across the solo cups they came in.
Now, I've read up a bit on their care, but I am finding myself in a contradictory position - the solo cups appear much too big & deep for both plants, yet, I've read that they don't like their roots disturbed.
So, should i just watch out with watering, or plant them in smaller containers?

Thanks.

Karin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to petrocosmea...

Because it's so hard to find pots/containers that are smaller than solo cups it's common to use them as pots for plantlets. This generally causes no problem and shouldn't with your Petrocosmea either. I would leave them in the solo cups and repot them when they get bigger. At that point you can use a more attractive pot. Right now the plants are getting used to their new growing environment and repotting would be an additional stress. Some people like to repot right away, but I'm not a fan of it.

Mark

o
RE: New to petrocosmea...

Thanks for your reply Mark, I ended up repotting after all - one was bone dry, the other sopping wet. So I am glad i got the conditions evened out. i put them in 2" pots that i cut down to about 1" height. still on the big side, but more controllable. plus, i got a little bonus plant out from under one of them.
Now, how do I tell if they are doing ok? I think they have grown, but it is hard to tell, and the P. Cryptica is still "reaching" - does that mean it needs more light?

Thanks.

Karin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here