Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavatea

episcia lover

lavatea
13 years ago

I've grown episcias off and on since I was a teenager. I've also grown some AVs and another gesneriad type (IIRC it was a streptocarpus). My mom and I used to go to a local AV show, and I fell in love with gesneriads (especially episcias) there. I haven't grown any in several years, and I'm just getting back into houseplants. I need some episcias!!

Any thoughts on the best place to buy them economically? I found a particular ebay seller that has good looking baby plants, but the shipping seems a bit high (especially once you are combining multiple plants). There's no local AV club in this area (E. TX) or at least not one I've found.

I'm not really particular on variety. I do love the green leaves with silver veins (I've grown both Silver Sheen and Silver Skies in the past). I'm also interested in any variety which puts out flowers that are not orangey red. I'm not particularly interested in the pink leafed varieties (at least while I'm easing my way back) because I don't want to have to baby any plants too much.

I won't be growing for show - just pleasure. I would love to eventually get a plant growing well enough for a hanging basket.

TIA. Looking forward to reading along in this forum.

Comments (3)