Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
episcia lover

Posted by lavatea TX 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 11:52

I've grown episcias off and on since I was a teenager. I've also grown some AVs and another gesneriad type (IIRC it was a streptocarpus). My mom and I used to go to a local AV show, and I fell in love with gesneriads (especially episcias) there. I haven't grown any in several years, and I'm just getting back into houseplants. I need some episcias!!

Any thoughts on the best place to buy them economically? I found a particular ebay seller that has good looking baby plants, but the shipping seems a bit high (especially once you are combining multiple plants). There's no local AV club in this area (E. TX) or at least not one I've found.

I'm not really particular on variety. I do love the green leaves with silver veins (I've grown both Silver Sheen and Silver Skies in the past). I'm also interested in any variety which puts out flowers that are not orangey red. I'm not particularly interested in the pink leafed varieties (at least while I'm easing my way back) because I don't want to have to baby any plants too much.

I won't be growing for show - just pleasure. I would love to eventually get a plant growing well enough for a hanging basket.

TIA. Looking forward to reading along in this forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: episcia lover

Lyndon Lyon carries many different episcias and other gesneriads for fair prices. Like you said shipping can be high but will come down for the summer season. Their plants are usually much bigger than I anticipated. I've included a link to their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyndon Lyon greenhouses

o

Great selection on this site

Here is a link that might be useful: out of africa

o

I have always had good luck buying from Belisle's. She has a large selection to choose from. Also she has many other plants in the gesneriad family.

here's her website: http://www.belislesviolethouse.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here