Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gloxinia question

Posted by duajones z9 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 12:55

not sure if this is the right forum to post this question but, I got this at walmart 75 percent off. Planted the bulb and kept it on my covered patio to keep it out of the sun. the plant has done well although I was rotating daily due to it growing toward the sun. temps here in south texas are already approaching 90 and that concerned me. So today I moved the plant to a desk at work that has flourescent lights above it 24/7. Did I do the right thing or should I put it back where it was?

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gloxinia question

My thought would be - definitely not enough light in the office.You need to keep it 12 inches from fluorescent lights in your office - and it doesn't seem practical. Do you have an adequate drainage and loose enough soil? It seems to me that your decorative box cuts even more light and even your porch may be was too dark. How about placing it on your windowsill at home as long as it is not south or south west?

Temperature wise - I do not know - let's wait when somebody will consult you about the upper recommended temperature for gloxinias. Streptocarpus would be long dead.

Good luck.

Irina

o
RE: gloxinia question

• Posted by jon_d Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 18:43

Looking at the photo, I wish you had taken the picture without the box hiding the pot and stem. It looks pale and a bit weathered but otherwise quite healthy. See my other post on the houseplant forum. Grow it in a bright window sill. A south window would probably be OK, as long as you don't let the plant dry out. If it doesn't flower on this growth cycle, don't give up. They die down to their tubers after a while and will then resprout with a new stem and a new chance to set buds, make great leaves, and flower for many weeks. The correct name is Sinningia speciosa. A glox can be quite long lived if taken good care of and with luck.

Jon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here