Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_gal

Bristol's Mom's Plant

Cat_Gal
19 years ago

Hi Guys!

Anybody grow this variety? I recently bought a starter and could not find any info on this plant from a web search. Is this a compact grower or not? Is it vigorous? How does it bloom? Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Cat

Comments (5)

• maureen_ottawa
    19 years ago

Cat, go to the Violet Barn web site. There is a full description of the plant. I don't know if the story is still posted there, but this plant apparently was tossed into the trash and just kept going. It is supposedly a very vigorous plant. I believe they still have a pic posted too.

All the Bristol's are compact plants. Some can grow large though. I think Mom's plant is a medium-large plant.

• kfj443
    18 years ago

Hello,Maureen & Cat!

I just registered. I thought I already had! Must have been on another site. Hope I'm not too late to answer on "Mom's plant"! I just perused the "violet barn" site and couldn't find it. I swear I saw it there not so long ago, but they have things tucked away in places you wouldn't think to look. I thought I had seen it in the "specials" section, but didn't find it there this time. That section is always changing, so maybe they don't have it right now? Or maybe it's in an entirely differnt section. "Violet Barn" has alot to offer, but you really have to search every lead they offer to get the whole picture. If all else fails, you might try to E-mail them, but make sure it's one that they'll answer! They say repeatedly they do not have the personelle to answer most E-mails. A phone call might be your best bet. (I've been threatening to call them my self, but the time difference is hard to get around!)

Don't get me wrong about their services! I ordered 6 streptocarpus' (streptocarpi? LOL) from them in March, and they came in perfect condition, with 2 in bloom! I have since ordered 6 more, but the weather will be better (I hope!) when they are sent. Our weather isn't much better here in May than it was in March! This last order is due June 6, when "party boy" is availlable. It's already sold out, but you can get on a waiting list.

hope this helps, Jay

• Cat_Gal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Maureen:

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have been busy with finals, projects, and interviews lately that this posting slipped my mind. I guess the other reason is because I don't frequent this forum as often as I do others. The traffic is so sloooow here (unlike houseplants--there's always action there).

I had been looking at the Violet Barn since I purchased the plant, but couldn't find any information there. I take it this is not as popular of a variety as the others. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see how it grows. :)

Hi Jay:

Welcome to GW! This is a great place to learn more about plants and everything to do with plants. The people here are extremely helpful and many of them gladly share their valuable knowledge with us. I have learned so much more here than I have ever learned web searching and googling.

You sound very excited about your recent strep purchases (who wouldn't be?). Party Boy is a gorgeous variety.

-CG

• james_ny
    18 years ago

From 2002 catalog. This was a seedling Rob's mom rescued from our trash and put in her dark north window.Never repotted, rarely warted or fed, knocked on the floor numerous times by the cats, it not only survived but had dozens of blooms every day for over a year-which mom made a point of reminding us of. We had to change our mind-its the toughest, best blooming strep we've grown yet. By the way, it has lovely light blue blooms shaded darker blue purple.

• jon_d
    18 years ago

Come back more often CG. We try to keep this forum pretty lively. I see new posts most days--if not on this side then on the gallery side. I know, I tend to answer every post, but I don't mean to hog the forum, I just like to keep things moving along, LOL. Having a strep that blooms easily and heavily is really a valuable asset. I have seen many a named strep cultivar come and go. They can be so ephemeral. Once, back in the stone ages we had a fantastic patterned one called 'Network' (NOT the same one as is being offered nowadays). It was one of the first netted streps and it had an amazing pattern of netting over the entire flower. It was a Kartuz creation. He probably has photos of it. I had it once and even made a very good cross with it. But, the orgininal 'Network' was a very weak grower, so even with its great flower and breeding potential it disappeared forever. But, nowadays we have many really nice netted cvs, many of which have this old one in their background. My cross was 'Network' x (I forget--but it was a so-so netted John Innis hybrid). The Innis hybrids, from England were a breakthrough series of hybrids that made the scene in the late 70's, combining the toughness and heat tolerance of the earlier 'Constant Nymph' with more interesting colors and patterns of some of the other older hybrids (weismoors etc.). I am sure than the Innis hybrids are in our myriad modern plants.

BTW, don't be too enamored of named streps! Really, it is still very true that seedlings will produce plants as beautiful and unique as named plants. The amount of variety that comes from a typical seed pod is amazing--even if it is a selfing of a hybrid. By crossing two dissimilar cvs. the variety is even much greater.

Jon