Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

how do I grow this plant

philpet
9 years ago

Hi everyone, I am new to this side of the forum:). I got this plant from an old friend, I am asuming its a gloxinia. I have never grow one and would love to keep this one alive.its potted in maybe a six inches pot, you can see the top of the bulb, the plant is wobbly and its potted in regular soil, can someone please advise me how to keep it alive, and get it to bloom also how to get it to not be so wobbly, I grow orchids and I am just figuring out african violets. Thank to anyone who can take the time to explain. Velleta.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Veletta,

It is a gloxinia and you grow it similar to your violets. It needs a bit more light, cooler temps. and higher humidity than do violets but I have grown both together in the same environment.

It grows from a tuber rather than roots and it will require a resting period. Slowly cut down on watering when flowering ceases and the leaves begin to yellow. Store in a cool place during dormancy. Growth should start on its own in late winter. Re-pot and gradually start watering again. Use the same mix you use for your violets.

Leaves are prone to rot so avoid wetting them.

Linda

(Why didn't you come to the violet forum and ask me??? ;) )

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi linda, lol I thought because it wasn't an african violet then I would hav to ask the qustion here lol, my bad. So should I leave it as is, until after it blooms or should I repot it, its in regular soil and should I stake it for the wobblinss, I just want to b sure it will servives, oh and I am so happy I found you here too. :). Vellta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

I wouldn't re-pot it until the next growth period. Has it bloomed yet on this growth cycle?

These plants can get wobbly. I would either use a small stake or add some soil up to the bottom leaves if there is room.

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi linda, so this is how tall the plant is, it has about three inches of space between the potting media and the bottom leaves, I think I will try and stake it, my soil is lighter and I don't want to run the risk of the my soil getting dry on the top so I would water, and then the bottom half still being wet so it causes rot, the old lady that gave it to me took it to church three times, and then finally to my workplace :) so I want to keep it alive. I think I will also try to get another three plants from the flower show in may, as a backup.oh and no blooms as yet my friend said it should be coming into bloom any time soon. Velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

Unlike our violets, after this blooms the foliage will start to yellow. It is entering dormancy so gradually withhold water.

Make sure to post some pictures!

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Linda,and yes I will make sure to post picsðÂÂÂ.velleta

• pelargonium_gw
    9 years ago

I just wonder who is chomping on the leaves, there are big holes in them. Have you had a look under the pot? I once got this kind of holes in one of my streps, and the culprit was a caterpillar of some sort, a fat green one. I found the bugger down in the cache pot.

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh hi pelargonium,your right its a caterpillar,but I got it like that,she grew it outside. I also bought four more at the flower show,I think I like them and would like to see how the do in my care.Velleta

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

hi
    Would think in Jamaica you could use them as garden plants. ? I use them that way in s.florida as long as I don't get frost.. Two problems squirrels and rats they LOVE the foliage though they never bother the tuber. have had a bit of insect problem occasionally. i allow them to go dormant during winter and just withhold water
    Would suspect in your area you get year around rain and obviously no frost?? They do appreciate drying out when dormant. gary

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Gary,I suppose they could be used as garden plants but here we get plenty of rain often,so I think maybe the tubers would probably rot.from too much water, in any case we never get snow or frost,we are a tropical climate.its my first shot at growing this plant so I am hoping it works out ok.velleta

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm