Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkjones_gw

Chirita Tamiana advice, please?

mkjones
20 years ago

Hello, I'm a faithful "lurker" in this forum, =) and would like some much needed advice on growing chiritas. I have a newly acquired plantlet (March) and would love to make it flourish and bloom for me. She's currently in a little terrarium (alone) under lights w/my AV's and streps. I have seen new leaves, but no signs of blooming. Is there a timeline I need to be aware of? Any tips from experienced growers?

Please and Thank You!

Kathleen in TX

Comments (10)

• kathystanke
    20 years ago

About all I can do is tell you how I grow mine. Chiritas can take cooler temps so be careful, living in Texas, and having your plant in a terrarium. I'm sure the plant is enjoying the humidity but its not a necessity as they thrive in my forced-air heated house in the winter.

Their growing conditions are similar to the AV's - as far as fertilizer, water and lighting. (BTW, did you know your streps will also appreciate cooler temps?) Except for growing my chiritas cooler than my AV's, I treat them the same as the AV's. Hope that helps.

Enjoy that little plant, I find them adorable.

Kathy

• SMcKinney
    20 years ago

Chritias generally bloom once maybe twice a year be patient
    your growing it properly if you lose it let me know I have hundereds.

• mkjones
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you! I will move her to a cooler spot, and may just lose the terrarium!

And yes, Kathy, I learned the hard way that my streps like things cooler than AV's--my Bristol's Marry Me began looking rather rough before I figured out the problem! Whew!

And thank you, SMcKinney--what a nice gesture....I'm crossing my fingers! =)

Kathleen

• JohnnieB
    19 years ago

Chirita tamiana is unlike any other chiritas. It is also one of the easiest to grow. Give it bright indirect light, a well-drained soil, and let the soil dry out slightly between waterings. Fertilize VERY sparingly. It doesn't seem to be particular about temperature or humidity and will be in almost continuous bloom year-round if you keep the seed capsules clipped off (and they form spontaneously and abundantly by self-pollination). It's not a seasonal bloomer like most other chiritas. I find that it looks best with 3 or more plants growing in a pot, and it's very easy to propagate from both seeds and leaf cuttings.

• sherrica
    19 years ago

I was given a Chirita Tamiana by a grower while buying AVs. On the trip home I had a plant accident and it was squashed to a tiny stem. I set it aside thinking it would just die. A few weeks later I have a fresh plant growing and several leaves rooted since I thought the plant was lost.
    I guess yet another addiction has begun LOL.

Sherri

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Sherri,

I have not tried it before, but I've heard that Tamiana is easly to propagate by leaf cutting. Pretty much like an Afican Violet. It sounds like you are having first hand experience.

Larry

• sherrica
    19 years ago

Hi Larry,

I put down six leaves. Three rooted and three rotted. I usually have about a 95% rate with Avs. None of the rooted leaves are showing babies so being patient hoping they are just slower or looking for right temp. I will let you know.

sherri

• larry_b
    19 years ago

sherri,

The person I talked to who had rooted tamiana leaves told me that they take longer to root than violet leaves.

Larry

• sherrica
    19 years ago

Thanks for that info. Larry. Being patient with leaves. Meanwhile, more leaves are showing from original plant.

Sherri

• erna29
    9 years ago

I bought one of these lovely plants here in the Netherlands about a year ago and have never seen them again.
    The plant I have has very limp leaves. It may have been too moist. Can I do anything to repair the damage? Any usuful advice?
    Leaf cuttings - so far - have not succeeded. Thanks for any help!
    Erna

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting