Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Gloxinia Sylvatica Questions? Please...

puglvr1
15 years ago

Hi,

I rescued a plant today, it was in very sad shape, looks like its been neglected for some time. It was very leggy with a lot of brown dead leaves, but yet showed some new growth starting at the tips on some of the branches. It was in a 5 gallon pot,asked the nursery lady what it was and was told it was a goldfish plant. I really thought it was because it did have one orange flower, and sort of resembled a small fish? Said if I wanted it for $2.00? Of course for that price, that's barely a cup of coffee...By the way when I got home, I saw a lable tucked in the back that said "Gloxinia Sylvatica". Since I have never owned a goldfish or one of these before I checked on line and of course the nursery was wrong, and it wasn't a goldfish plant, no surprise, LOL...By the way I was so excited as I have been looking for "goldfish Plant since I saw them here on this forum, *sigh*

I got home to check the roots( make sure that the roots wasn't rotting) and repot it in a nicer pot. The roots were very white and healthy, but definitely root bound. I untangled some of the circling roots, trimmed most of the leggy stems ( wanted a shorter more compact look). I added some fresh soil.

My guestions are, can I root these small branches that I pruned? Should I just stick it back in the soil to make a more compact plant or should I root it in water first? Also do they like it moist or rather on the dry side? Direct Sun or under a canopy of a tree(shade)? Also how cold can these plants take night time temps?

Sorry for the many questions, but I know this is the place to come for answers...Thanks so much!!

Here's a pic, to make sure the lable is correct...

{{gwi:832811}}

Comments (7)

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

That one is supposed to be hardy at least for me, so also for you, but I've only had it from cuttings from a friend since this spring. It started easily in my regular AV-type potting soil--plenty of perlite for drainage--and one cutting even bloomed before I let it get too dry. It was quite recently re-classified from Gloxinia to Seemannia, and is rhizomatous, so it will go dormant in the winter I think. It'll spread out and make a nice patch fairly soon. I really think I'm going to like it a lot. Good luck with yours!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks greenelbows, Do you give yours any direct sun? I have potted it with lots of drainage. I went ahead and stuck the small branches that I pruned in some soil(same type). I had some extra and put several in a 6" pot to make a full pot. I guess I will water when slightly dry. I wonder if this will go dormant here in FL? Since you haven't had yours too long, and we have similar climate, I guess we will find out together.

Maybe someone out there that has had it a while can share their experience and needs. Appreciate it!!

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

Your plant will form long stringy rhizomes that produce fat scaly rhizomes at the tips--in the pot, out the bottom and dangling over the side! It may go dormant after forming rhizomes so don't give up on it--just keep it on the dry side and start watering regularly once you see new growth.

I saw a nice planting of this species (now Seemannia sylvatica) at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Florida a couple of years ago. It was growing in full sun, but it was also winter--which seems to be when this species tends to bloom. I don't think it grows outdoors year-round there--I suspect Florida's summer heat would be too much for it--so you might be best growing it indoors and planting it out in fall for winter bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seemannia sylvatica at Fairchild

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks johnnieb,

I appreciate the information and the link that you posted. What a beautiful plant especially when its blooming. Appreciate the "new" name its going by also. Maybe I can do more research under that name and see what comes up.

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

My, that is gorgeous! I saw what I thought was a pretty amazingly beautiful plant early this spring, grown by the guy who manages the greenhouses for the local university. He asked me what it was and it occurs to me I should tell him the whole name--at that time I only knew it must be a Seemannia. It had been grown outside I guess in a pot, and he brought in for a meeting. He grows a lot of nice things, most of them very well. Sometimes they're experimental and turn out not to be suited for this climate. Very important information sometimes!

• bubba62
    15 years ago

This plant has lots going for it - easy to propagate, beautiful foliage, and root hardy here in zone 7b (although we've had zone 8 winters for the last several years.) However, it never manages to bloom here because of its winter flowering cycle. I root small plants and bring them into the greenhouse for bloom beginning around Christmas (they make great little gifts, btw.) I wrote about the frustrations of growing this and other plants which are hardy, but can't survive frost to produce blooms, on the February 9 post to my blog - here's the url if you're interested:

http://transitionalgardener.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Transitional Gardener Blog

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bubba62,

Thanks for that link...You sure have gorgeous plants, your garden is just beautiful. Thanks so much for the beautiful pictures.

Its funny I covered my Mango and Lychee trees with Christmas lights and frost cloth when we had a freeze here in Florida in Jan. I was awake almost the whole the night checking on them to make sure it didn't catch on fire. I know I'm paranoid, I'm sure it wasn't hot enough to cause fire, it was only (25) count C-7 lights. But I was still worried, LOL...