Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Episcia 'chocolate soldier'

birdsnblooms
13 years ago

Hello. I won an Episcia 'Chocolate Soldier' rooted cutting on Ebay. It just arrived.

The top, where leaves grow off the main stem, is very weak. It might even break off. Also, the Episcia is quite wilted.

It's in water for now.

What type of soil should it be potted in, and does 'Chocolate Soldier' require high humiity?

It's a small cutting, 5-6" so it will fit in a 2-3" plastic container. If humidity is needed I can set the plant and pot in a small fish bowl.

Also, what type of light does E. Chocolate Solier prefer? Would bright indirect sun do, plus artifical light? Less? More?

If anyone has an idea what should be done, please post. Thanks much, Toni

Comments (14)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Toni -

you will eventually be able to grow this plant the same way as you grow your violets. But right now - it needs some recuperation. Fish bowl is a good idea - or angel cake box or what not. The soil you use should be light - about the same as the best for african violets - 1:1:1. Episcias are heavy feeders - so AV fertilizer in a water is good same as you feed your violets. Light wise - same as violets - but be careful with the fish bowl - if it is exposed to the sun - it can get get way to warm. The only thing that is different - episcias are warm loving plants, more than AVs. So find a place for it where it doesn't go below 60. I would think that 75 and up is perfect - but it gets too hot for us. So - upper shelf, on the top of the fridge - whatever you can find.

Irina

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Irinia. I don't think the Episcia going to make it. The main stem was very week upon arrival. It sick and wilting.
    Roots, what little there were, are not in the best shape..'it came bare-root.'

However, I won't give up unless it's completely gone.

When I'm at the store, and see piled up plants, 'half-dead,' (I coin these, 'dead carts,' usually .10-1.00, they come home with me. I repot, and hope for the best..I have many healthy 'dead plant' plants. lol.
    However, there are some plants, like Episcias, that aren't that simple.
    I've purchased healthy Episcias a few yrs ago, they all died. So, you can imagine the luck I'll have with a sick Episcia..???
    Thanks for the info..I'll try, see what happens, Toni

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Toni -

get your episcia out of the soil.

Find some good quality sphagnum moss - they sell it for orchids, wet it, wring the water out. Take a small transparent container, I would recut the end of the episcia stem and cover most of the stem with sphagnum moss. Close the container, put it in some warm and moderate light space - and forget about it.

The procedure is called "sphag-n-bag". Probably it will send new roots and will be ready to transplant in 3 weeks. If the plant was sent bareroot - the old roots are dead anyway.

You know my opinion about bringing sick and dying plants home. For me - it is like save a poor dirty, mangy and fleabitten dog from the street - and put it in a bed with your kids. It will take a while before you get rid of all the fleas in the house afterwards.

I am sure you are just one step from growing humongous episcias. Keep trying.

Irina

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Irina..just noticed you added more on this thread.

Sure enough, the top stem broke..leaves were so wilted, I didn't even try rooting the top..All that is left is about 2" stem.

Do you still suggest adding to Sphagnum? I think I have tiny, 3" transparent pots, but not sure..and don't know if what's left of the plant, old roots, will fit inside.

No water? You said, set in moss then forget it? lol..What about covering, like a gh environment? My house is a little dry..and heat?

Irina, I'll be honest..I have purchased many plants via 'dead carts,' (my own made-up term for plants stores are ready to discard,) strenghten them up, and voila, a very nice plant for .10..
    If a 'dead cart' plant has bugs, it stays..Don't dare take a chance.

But this cutting was purchased from Ebay. The picture was unlike the actual plant/cutting.
    I felt sorry for the seller, after a conversation with her. Her dh lost his job, so she was selling cuttings from her garden to make ends meet..Left Positive Feedback. I know, I'm a chump..

Anyway, so do you think I should unpot the stem, plant in Sphagnum Moss, like you said? Toni

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Toni - if it is still here and not in a trash bin- remove all leaves except the very top one, recut it, rehydrate in a lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar added for 1/2 hour, and then pot it in a sphagnum in some enclosed transparent container. Deli cup, salad box, a glass jar with a seran wrap on the top.

Sphag-n-bag - includes bag, isn't it - so it meands covered. Next time - if you are rooting epicsias, or recovering the one you got from ebay - they should always go under the dome. Low humidity in your house is probably the reason whay you have trouble growing them.
    They do OK for me if they are on a wick and mat on a tray full of water - so they have their own microclimate. I doubt they will do well in a open room for me - we have very low humidity in CO.

Did you consider buying a fish tank n the garage sale and growing them there - episcias go bonkers in warm and humid environment?

I do not have Chocolate Soldier, but I grow dark leaf "Panama White" - our club ordered it as a project plant from Violetbarn - and it came with instruction - preferrably grow covered. So it sits under the dome and blooms white.

Irina

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Irina..I don't know why I get some emails from GW when a new message is posted, and other times do not.

Sorry.

Actually, the day I removed the broken top off, it went in the trash. Now I wish I'd have saved it..

Never heard the sugar trick. Does it perk up wilted leaves?

Irina, the top was very very wilted..the break was worse than I thought, hanging on to the main trunk by a thread.

Don't know how many days the little guy was in the mail..(In a semi-moist/more dry paper towel.) As soon as the box arrived, the plants were taken out of the box. Carefully. That's when I noticed the break.
    But I didn't realize it was as bad as I first thought.

Imagine a tropical/high humidity plant falling from its pot, lying on the floor for weeks, during the hottest time of the year..That's what the poor Episcisa looked like. :(

I really like Choc Soldier. Never see Episcias for sale, locally..they were common plants in IL, years ago. Then, disappeard, like so many other types.

We used to breed fish, so I have a few fish tanks left. The bottom half of the Choc Soldier is in a small bowl.
    It's not doing much, guess waiting is the key..

Any suggestions?

Also, thanks for your help..Toni

• irina_co
    12 years ago

And the top should be covered.

Your episcia should be in a mini-greenhouse with 100% humidity.

See how it goes.

Irina

here what I am growing - and the club ordered plants from them. I would say - everything arrived in a perfect condition, not what you describe...

Here is a link that might be useful: Panama white

• irina_co
    12 years ago

For whatever reason I thought that "Chocolate Soldier " is dark leaved. But it is actually a clone of Episcia cupreata - and all kinds of this very variable species are available.

More of it - what is in the culture - and what is named "Chocolate Soldier" - there is no similar pics - they are all different.

Do Not despare - there are plenty of them around.

irina

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Irina..I toppped the little fish tank with Plastic. They don't need air circulation?

Chocolate Soldier's Episcias are dark..I Googled a pic, but they show different variations of Choc Soldier. Maybe it's the lighting.
    When they were sold here, regularly, leaves were dark..
    Similar to the Sam's collection, which I happen to really like..next to the pinks, and variegated, Number 1. Toni

BTW, their Episcias are beautiful..Wow..the variegation versions are remarkable, and Out of Stock..lol.. I can see why.

The Panama White is really pretty, too..

• juliebees2009
    12 years ago

I tried to grow this same plant and i tried everything and it died and these are not cheep to buy...now I can grow any African violet you give me but for some reason these type of plants just don't get along with me. right now I have one and it broke and i said oh well ad i watered it and its putting out at the stem....people send me cuttings of there's so I can get a few to live. to Dede the one you sent me is doing great it was healthiest one i ever received. t/y hey I am still accepting cutting from other people i will send pictures when they get large. I am looking for a chocolate soldier now.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Julie-

the main reason Episcias do not grow well - is the conditions - in their native habitat - it is hot and humid. If you create the hot and humid conditions- like in enclosed fish tank with lights and something on a bottom - like wet vermiculite - they will grow and root to anything and bloom like crazy. But if it is less than 50% humidity and under 65F temperature - they will go into decline - and the lower the numbers - the faster they croak.

It doesn't seem that "Chocolate Soldier" is a legitimate name, when I look at the google - what people call CS - is usually something that looks similar to Episcia cupreata which is extremely variable. I personally prefer to grow named hybrid plants or species, because you know how they should look like and you can investigate what conditions they prefer if you have growing issues. So - if I know that it is a Episcia cupreata "La Soledad Bronze" - it is a cast iron plant and it will grow in the open for me. If it is Episcia "Pink Acajou" - which is also cupreata - I probably need to find it a more protected spot and give it more light otherwise it will get too stringy for me - and "Cleopatra " which is a gorgeous variegated sport of cupreata - will need to grow under the dome.

They are all so beautiful - they are worthy extra babying.

Irina

• sandis
    12 years ago

Hello, I have 20-25 episcias in my home. I plant them in African Violet soil. They need good indirect light. I have several huge ones growing in 8 in pots hanging in south windows. I even grow them in my large north facing window. Water only when the soil feels dry to the touch, about once a week. I can't find these plants in my area so I've ordered all mine online. Ebay has numerous ones for sale. All episcias require the same care except for the varigated types which need more humidity, If I could remember how to post pics on this forum, I would post mine, which grow like a weed and are gorgeous! My favorite houseplant. I have all colors..pink,yellow, red, lavendar and a few with multi-colored blooms. Mine are usually always covered in blooms and throw out long stolons, which I snip off and start new plants. Good luck with yours.

Sandis

• sandis
    12 years ago

Also, when I receive one that looks like it is at death's door, I water it well and put a baggie over it. This provides extra humidity and keeps the moisture. I have saved three this way.

Sorry I forgot to add this in my original post.

SandiS

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Good Job - Sandis in Tenn.!

the easiest way to post pics - is to go to the Gallery part of this forum - and insert them there. The only thing - you need to shrink the pics to 100k. As far as I remember - you create a post - and when you preview it - you can add your pic.

I,

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21