Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
relative light needs for Cape Primrose and AVs to bloom?

Posted by woodsworm 7a NC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 16:18

I have a vigorous gesneriad. I think it is a 'Cape Primrose,' Streptocarpus caulescens Streptocarpella. (The friend who gave it to me knew only that it was "kin to an AV," and my own "identification" is from comparing photos and descriptions on gesneriad sites, so I'm not certain but I do want to let you know as closely as I can in order to get accurate responses. It grows from stems, not a rosette.

It has thrived mightily from a 1" cutting last fall to a 15" or so heavy bloomer as the days have lengthened. I am about to take some cuttings, repot the base plant and select a summer location. I am well accustomed to the exposure needs of my African violets and have managed them indoors and outdoors in central NC.

Can someone tell me whether the Steptocarpus needs stronger light than the AVs to keep blooming? I know it will have a dormant period at some time, but I don't want to hasten that as leaves come to shade the south window where it has been thriving this spring. My inclination is to keep some of it in the house and some outside. Outdoor shade is available, ranging from partial to deep shade. My main question is light exposure for what I keep indoors.

By the way, can someone tell me how long a non-blooming period to expect from the streptocarpus, assuming "best" conditions? This is such a beauty I don't want to miss a bit of it. My husband thinks I have some kind of magic, and I sure want to keep him deceived. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: relative light needs for Cape Primrose and AVs to bloom?

Woodsworm,

in my experience streptocarpella can take a lot more light and it loves it. Not direct midday sun outside though. I would guess that if AV would like to have 600-800 footcandles - streptocarpella possibly 1500 and more. So - start in dappled shade and move towards the light. The second thing - looks like it does better from the cuttings than from the old plant, so rejuvenate it at least once a year.

The best place I had for it in my house was a western window behind the windowscreen, looks like enough sun stimulates blooming. I kept in Oyama pot and kept refilling it with an AV fertilizer solution 1/8 of a teaspoon per gallon.

Good luck

Irina

o
RE: relative light needs for Cape Primrose and AVs to bloom?

Thanks, Irina! that's most welcome info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here