Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting columnea

Posted by djm906 midwest z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 05 at 19:28

My daughter has 2 cuttings of Columnea "Aladdins Lamp". shes never had any of this type plant before. It looks like there a roots running up and down its stems. Do I lay the stems down on the vermiculite so the roots contact it? or do I just put the end into the soil and let the roots hang down? thanks, Doris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting columnea

Hi Doris,

Columneas don't need any more than 1 - 1 1/2 inches of stem below the soil. I would take off bottom leaves until you have about 1 to 1 1/2 or even 2 inches of stem and don't worry about any roots that are above that. They will just wither away. They won't be of any use anyway. Since they already have roots put the plant and pot in a plastic bag for about a week. The columnea has water roots and will need to convert them to soil roots. The bag will keep the humidity high and give the plant the chance to make the conversion without stressing it.

Good luck and have fun.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here