Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rehmannia - Gesneriad?

Posted by domeman NSW Aust (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 29, 06 at 20:50

I am growing Rehmannia have thought that it was Gesneriaceae but have recently seen it assigned to Scrophulariaceae. Botanica is ambiguous and it is not mentioned in the list posted in the firstQ 2006 Gesneriads.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rehmannia - Gesneriad?

If I understand correctly, Rehmannia is one of those odd-ball plants that gets moved around and doesn't quite fit. It seems to me I read somewhere that it is being considered for inclusion in Gesneriaceae at this time, and since I have long been somewhat interested in them I was more encouraged to try them. Of course, since there are, I would guess conservatively, about ten thousand plants I'm interested in, I may not get around to growing them in the near future--and anyway, I'm not too sure how well they would adjust to my peculiar climate. Have to do some more research.

o

• Posted by jon_d Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Tue, May 2, 06 at 15:47

My understanding is that rehmannia is no longer considered to be a gesneriad, but once was. I call it, an honorary gesneriad. It just doesn't grow or have the "feel" of a gesneriad. It is like a true perennial type plant. I have a couple growing in the garden and in pots outside.

Jon
PS, Nancy, only 10,000 plants you are interested in? How do you keep your list so short? My list would be longer if I didn't already have far far far too many. Sigh...

o

Jon, my list is growing shorter as my years are getting longer. I'm trying to get my son as interested in gesneriads as I am--succeeded in getting him hooked on gardening early, but he's more interested in trees and shrubs.

o

Rehmannia has bounced between Scrophulariacea and Gesneriaceae several times over the years, depending on whose classification you look at. Scrophulariaceae has been dramatically redefined in recent years and is now a much smaller family; many former Scrophs are now in Plantaginaceae (!) but Rehmannia is still unsettled and may end up in Phrymaceae (along with Mimulus!) or another family. However, it's definitely not a gesneriad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here