Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on growing

Posted by cat1977 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 21:20

Hi everyone, new member here. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to grow pearcea USBRG 1994-276. I can't seem to find any usable info on the net so I thought I would try here. Thank you in advance-
Cat1977

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on growing

Cat -

I grow Pearcea sp. Ecuador and Pearcea schimpii - which seem to be quite close to yours. I grow them on wicks-mats and under fluorescent lights - 2 T12 or 2 T8s will be Ok for it. Pearcea needs decent humidity - like 50% and up otherwise it looks damaged from dry air. I use 1:1:1 Cornell mix plus a bit of milled sphagnum moss and coarse perlite for a soil, Dynagro or similar no urea balanced fertilizer at 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water all the time.

Ask more questions please - I kind of went heavy on the lingo.

Irina

o

Thanks for the info. I have my plant growing semi-hydro. It seems to take quite a bit of water. Are these plants sensitive to water PH? Thanks again-cat1977

o

Yes - most of the gesneriads want close to neutral water and soil. As far as I know out of most wide spread gessies - Chirita (Primulina now), Petrocosmea and Gesneria especially like slightly alkaline media - because in nature they grow on limestone hills. Gesnerias require adding dolomite lime to the soil. Pearceas and Kohlerias are from high humidity high precipitation region - where the soil is so washed and rinsed through - there is no alkalinity left.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here