Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
streptocarpella

Posted by phyl345 chicagoland z5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 0:41

just bought a hanging basket of streptocarpella ... do i have to buy special african violet fertilizer for it? ... & how often should i fertilize???

thanks, phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: streptocarpella

Phyl -

Get an AV fertilzer for it and use 1/4 of a spoon of it per gallon for every watering. Provided you will keep it in a good light but off the direct midnight sun - it will bloom its head off.

irina

o
RE: streptocarpella

It is possible the nursery where you purchased the plant has already given it slow release fertilizer.

I had a streptocarpella hanging basket one summer which I hung outside. I didn't fertilize because I couls see the slow-release fertilizer. It bloomed all summer very heavily. My daughter took it inside for the winter but didn't water it when she went on winter vacation and lost it.

This year we bought small individual plants of streptocarpella. I added slow release 13-13-13 hanging basked fertilizer one time and it has not stopped blooming.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here