Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Puzzling Episcia collapse

Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Tue, May 23, 06 at 10:36

My little E. Silver Emblem was doing fine for a long time, when a couple of weeks ago I noticed one of its three stolons was all dried up and only three plantlets were still alive (currently rooting). I figured I must've broken it when I moved the plant. Yesterday I look closely and see that the two remaining stolons, loaded with plantlets, were in bad condition, about to dry up. Also, the main plant had limp leaves at the bottom, even though the soil was still moist (big clue). Later in the day I saw the limp leaves were creeping up the stems, so I took it apart. I now have close to a dozen plantlets rooting and the main plant in four pieces on my desk (after soaking overnight).

Did I let it get dry too often? Do Episcias do well wicked? Do they just do this sometimes??

It's my only Episcia, so my ignorance is vast. Help?

Korina, soon to have *lots* of trades

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Puzzling Episcia collapse

Korina - hello,

It is most possibly the botrytis. I lost several episcias recently. It starts with brown ends of the stems and stolons. Whatever is still alive - you need to dip/spray with a fungicide that has botrytis on the list - and try to reroot it.

Good luck

Irina

o

Korina, I hate to hear that. I am just starting now with a couple of episcias and I'm nervous about them. I'll trade with you if you want.

Good luck with all your babies. Let us know how it turns out.

-Mo (WV)

o

About wicking episcias--I've kept episcias on various kinds of wicking systems for more years than I care to think about, and they do very well that way (usually!) I wonder if botrytis might be what happened to a few I've lost on occasion. In our hot steamy summers I put them outside, often in coir-lined hanging baskets, and they do very well without wicking. But they do need to be watered fairly consistently, which is why I wick them--consistency is not my middle name!

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 24, 06 at 14:54

Thanks, all. If it was botrytis it must've hit just the roots, because everything looked and smelled healthy. The roots looked possibly iffy, but the stems looked fine. I'll wick the little tyke(s) when it/they root.

Korina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here