Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Kohleria spicata

mdahms1979
12 years ago

Does anyone know how common Kohleria spicata is in cultivation? I have been looking for this species for a while but still no luck in either a commercial source or The Gesneriad Society Seed Bank.

I have seen some wonderful variation in colour within this species in photographs. There was one particular plant that had a dirty yellow as the base colour of the flower and I was really impressed with it. I am assuming that the red/orange form is probably much more common.

Mike

Comments (6)

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Mike -

you probably need to ask people on gesneriphiles forum, if you didn't join yet - do it - there is a lot of wonderful info from best gesneriad growers in and out of the country posted there.

Anyway - it is in cultivation in Sweden and Japan right now. You can get more leads from g-philes crowd.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: g-philes

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Irina I will be sure to check out the fourm.

Mike

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Mike - looking at the g-forum - you got plenty of replies and most of the people say - why are you going to grow this weed ;-))?

You probably can grow it outside when it is above 15C.

Irina

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes lots of replies and it seems that several grow this plant and also find it interesting albeit a little unruly or untidy at times. This Kohleria may be weedy in South America but I figure that it will be fairly tame in a pot and the hummingbirds should enjoy it. I grow native plants that I find interesting outside in pots as well, anything from Impatiens to sedges so this Kohleria will have the company of it's less than spectacular weedy outcasts. LOL

I have already had several offers and will more than likely receive some rhizomes after the convention in New Jersey.

Thanks again Irina for your suggestion to join the mailing list.

Mike

• irina_co
    12 years ago

The only thing I believe - it will be tough. If it works - probably Kohleria hirsuta should work too.

Did you try growing sinningias? The ones with tubular flowers should be perfect - S. sellovii, "Apricot Bouquet", cardinalis - etc. naturally you need to take them home for winter - but they should be perfect for hummingbirds.

Irina

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the first year I am attempting to grow Gesneriads outside and I have to admit that I am drawn to the hummingbird pollinated plants. I have many small plants of Sinningia douglasii so I will be trying a few outside during the summer. My other Sinningias seem too delicate but I will more than likely be adding a few more of the red flowered species like Sinningia canescens and maybe defoliata.
    I am going to try my other tubular flowered Kohlerias outside as well although I will keep a backup inside in case the experiment does not work out. I have Kohleria Peridots Potlatch, Snakeskin and Trinidad that I am planning on using outside. Because I am a balcony gardener it can get windy during storms and I have to bring many plants in at those times to prevent tattered leaves and tipped over pots.

I need to do some more research as to the temperature tolerances of many of these plants. I grow some of my orchids and Stapeliads outside in the summer so I will just make sure I bring the Gesneriads in with them when it gets cool. Some plants stay out until the night time lows are expected to be below 10C (50F) although that is more for intermediate growers vs true warm growing plants so maybe I should be a little more cautious.

Mike