Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sinningia aurora borealis

Posted by leahrenee1 z9FL (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 13:52

photo 2014-05-23_08-15-21_846_zpsufgojces.jpg photo 2014-05-23_08-15-03_401_zpsw6cagf1w.jpg
 photo 2014-05-23_08-16-08_197_zpsqh9pmw4r.jpg
After this is done blooming should I cut off some of the stems, I feel like it looks messy, what say you?
(I believe it's sinningia aurora borealis)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sinningia aurora borealis

i cut S. leucotricha leaves off near the end of Winter, to give it plenty of fresh new growth and flowers for Spring.

Im sure this can be handled similarly.

Beautiful plant!

o

I would not only cut the long unsightly stems - and put the tips down for rooting - someway there is always somebody who wants it - I will repot it as well.
'Aurora Borealis' is a Sinningia speciosa - and even if it wants to grow indeterminantly - it usually benefits if you let the tuber rest when it slows down in a fall.
On the other side - you have a gorgeous healthy plant - whatever you are doing is working. What do they say - if it ain't broke don't fix it ;-)).

o

The other problem I have is that it doesn't always rest, it did the first year I had it but it did not this year.

o

Hi
that has been my experience here in florida One grew and flowerd continuously for over 5 years interestingly it died down in Sept and did not resprout until Feb was promptly devoured by a rat lol It has now resprouted again and growing like gang busters lol I moved it out to my "houseplant area of the shade garden Hopefully it's rat free good luck gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here