Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strep temperature target

Posted by amilder z8 Central TX (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 04 at 15:03

I love growing streps and I want to keep them as happy as I can. I keep hearing they prefer it cool, and they don't like heat. I use A/C all summer, I was wondering what exactly people mean by "too hot"? Is it 75, 80, or 85 F? I keep the house at around 78-80, it gets really expensive if I go much lower. Is this a reasonable upper limit?

Thanks,
Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strep temperature target

Hi Andy,

I have streps and I have found that if the temp gets much over 80 degrees( closer to 85 ) they started getting stressed. I had a couple of summers where I lost some streps to heat, but it got up to 90 degrees. I think that 78-80 should be just fine. I put mine on the lowest shelf of my plant stand, so that it gets the coolest temps in the room. Hope this helps.

Larry

o

Larry,
Thanks for the reply. That helps set my mind at ease. I was worried because the definition of "hot" can vary quite a bit. I wouldn't call 80 F hot, but someone from Maine might!
Thanks,
Andy

o

Hi Andy,

I noticed that you just registered yesterday. Welcome aboard! There are a lot of nice people who know a lot about various plants here. I have learned so much by reading and interacting on these forums.

Larry

o

Larry,
Thanks for the welcome! Actually I have already learned a lot from reading posts on this and other gardenweb forums.
Thanks,
Andy

o

Hiya, Andy--I 2nd Larry, welcome! Garden Web rocks! =) I keep my streps in sunny windows, but about 4 feet from the window itself. If any closer, they curl & burn, and won't blossom. They're all over the house, in amongst the violets and such, but further from the light, and thus, cooler in the process too.

=) Streps are SO beautiful to have around, huh?
Kathleen in TX

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here