Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpus - limp leaves!

Posted by claire_w Ireland (My Page) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 16:53

Hi all

My "Aweena" is healthy looking and most of it's leaves are perky, but some of the lower leaves are partially limp. Only 3 or 4 of the leaves are like this, they are mature leaves and the 1/3 of the leaf close to the base is ok, it's the other 2/3 is affected. I repotted the plant last weekend hoping that might help, and I inspected the roots and soil wondering if something might be visible, vine weevil larvae or something but no, all seemed ok.

I'm generally good with houseplants but not an expert on Streptocarpus, is this a symptom of a typical problem that perhaps somebody could shed some light on? Any ideas would be gratefully received, thanks in advance!

PS this plant is about 2 years old, which I bought as a very small plug plant and grew on, it's been happy up until recently . . . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpus - limp leaves!

Claire-

reduce the water. They need to be very dry before you water again. I water when they start looking a bit limp.

Since it is 2 years old - it should be a large plant. I think they do not bloom well if they are that old. It is a time to disassemble the plant, cut the wedges with new offshoots for potting and toss old tired overgrown part.

If you grow Iris in a garden - you know what I mean. Divide, trash an old center, replant new growth.

Irina

o
RE: Streptocarpus - limp leaves!

Thanks Irina, I will leave it to get nice and dry; from the sound of it I should not have repotted but should have cut it up. I did try and separate one of the offshoots but it didn't want to come, so I left it. Should have been more surgical I think! Will give that a go. Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here