Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Episcia potting advice needed

Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 17:37

Hi; a few weeks ago I finally took apart my overgrown, unhappy E. Silver Skies. I now have 30-40 (haven't had the courage to count yet) rooted plantlets being weaned from big baggies.

My question is, should I pot them up one plant to a pot, or 2-3?

Thanks for any help. ♥

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Episcia potting advice needed

Episcias, even if being grown for show, can have as many plants as you'd like per pot. The limiting factor on how many you can put in is the size of the pot. If you're looking to give away/sell some, then maybe 1 per pot would be better because then more could enjoy them. Otherwise, just fill in a nice shallow pot with the babies.

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 19:06

Thanks for the help; some of them are fairly tiny so I may keep those in the gang pot for awhile. It did occur to me that if I could get some of the larger ones big enough I could enter them in the county fair this August. I'll have to wait and see.

o

Korina,

Try this: Get a large 12 inch plant saucer, fill half way with soil over rocks or other drainage material. Plant 5 or more stolons of nearly the same size and and soil to cover stolon roots. You can put Spanish moss on top to keep in moisture and to hide the soil.

In a few months the episcias will have grown together producing stolons and flowers.

Hint: The more you pinch off new stolons, the more flowers develop.

This can be placed under lights or placed in window light.

You can present this at show in non-flowering episcia class or flowering episcia class.

Nancy
Nancy

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 20:57

In case anyone is interested, I cheated my way out; I potted up all the babies in 2" pots, one or two to a pot, and gave them away, except for a handful. I would love to find a small strawberry pot for them, but they don't seem to exist around here.

Oh, and I recently cleaned out my tool box and found a tag for Silver *Emblem*. ::facepalm::

o

Korina - you saved your house and home from being overwhelmed by invasive Episcias...

I have 2 fish tanks full of them - they should go to the club meeting - and since we didn't have one in July - THEY ARE GETTING OUT LIKE THE YEAST DOUGH....raising to the top and trying to push the lid..

I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here