Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breaking Dormancy of Sinningia tubers?

Posted by barb_from_london 6a (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 18:36

I just started growing species Sinningias from seed last year, and had some nice specimens of Sinningia eumorpha bloom first year from seed. They gradually went dormant over the winter, under flourescent lights. I also have some small tubers from Sinningia nivalis that are dormant now. The tubers seem healthy. Do I remove them from the lights for a while? Just wait? Put them outside when the nights aren't nearly freezing? Any suggestions on getting them to break dormancy?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breaking Dormancy of Sinningia tubers?

BArb -

I keep mine in thick ziplock baggies in a barely -barely moist sphagnum moss hanging near the lights. They wake up when they decide to and I think light is important. I see them sending shoots and pot them.

Some of them wake up in a month, some in a year, some never. The recommendation was - to leave a piece of a stem sticking with a last node - so you have an extra growth point. I believe it is important for the minis.

Sinningia leuchotricha is jinxed for me - never wakes up from a tuber...

irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here