Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpus buds

Posted by jim409 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, May 9, 06 at 20:50

About a year ago I purchased a Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Bunny Hop.' The plant appears healthy and has bloomed well until recently. Buds are forming but they do not seem to be able to push through the sturdy foliage. The foliage color appears a rich green and quite corrigated and feels rather stiff. My indoor conditions throughout the cold months are 50% humidity and temps 65-75. The plant is in a 3" square pot. Fluorescent light is variable up to 1000 footcandles.

The roots appear healthy and dense. Although the plant was repotted 9/2005 it appears in need of repotting because of the density of roots. I was lead to believe a 3" pot is all it will ever need but I am doubting that now. How large a pot will this plant finally need?

My indoor conditions are good for growing about 85 phalaenopsis orchids that do very well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpus buds

• Posted by jon_d Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Wed, May 10, 06 at 15:41

A 3" pot may work for some people and be too small for others. You can pot it up to a 5" azalea pot. What often happens to streps is that, after a number of years in the same soil, the plant develops a crown rot, and goes into decline. So, it is a good idea to always start new plants from cuttings. Streps also grow well from seed, with the added enjoyment of seeing the unique flowers that each seedling will produce. It sounds like you need to gently coax the inflorescence out from between the leaves, so that it grows up straight.

Anyway, what do I know?--I could never grow a phal. Other orchids, yes, but phals always go downhill for me. ;)

Jon

o
RE: Streptocarpus buds

Hey Jim, I was lead to believe that repotting after 6 months so you can get some fresh mix on your streptocarpus is a good idea. If you need to pot up at that time, you can do it. I think most streps will do well in pots less than or equal to 6 inches. You can also divide when repotting to keep your plant(s) small.

Good luck! -Mo (WV)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here