Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohleria Rhizomes

Posted by KarenMN NYC (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 04 at 21:49

Have grown Kohlerias from rhizomes before, and have noticed that they usually grow better for me than ones bought as plants.

Now I have rhizomes forming on the soil of some of my plants, and would like to harvest them and save for planting in the fall, when I can start them under lights.

How should I store them and how long will they keep?

Advice much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohleria Rhizomes

It really depends on what kohleria you have. A few species have long dormant periods but most of the hybrids--and most of the cultivated plants are hybrids--have a very short dormant period, if any. The rhizomes will often begin to sprout even before the mother plant has finished blooming. In general kohleria rhizomes don't tolerate drying out and should be kept in barely moist potting mix until they sprout, then given plenty of light and water. If you try to keep them dormant by letting them dry out, they will often shrivel up and perish.

o
RE: Kohleria Rhizomes

Thanks, johnnieb. Mine is a hybrid, 'Longwood,' so I guess keeping them til fall wouldn't work. Had tried collecting them and just storing them dry--that sure didn't work!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here