Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

What kind of gesneriad is this plant?

haxuan
17 years ago

I have this plant and I wonder if it's a kind of gesneriad or not.

{{gwi:833620}}

Comments (5)

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

It's an episcia, which is indeed a gesneriad. I would guess it's E. cupreata or one of its hybrids, but I'm rusty on those. Makes a lovely hanging basket as you show, and if you want more plants or bigger leaves you can take off some of those stolons and root them, or just thin them out. Fun to play with the different ways the plant can develop!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you greenelbows1 (not Greenthumb, huh? :-)
    Now since it's a gesneriad I wish to know more on how to care for it so that it looks best all the time. In particular I wish to know if I need to repot it every now and then (like the AVs), what kind of soil, how much water, fertilizer, etc. (I just got this plant last weekend for $1.30.)
    I've seen many other people here have this plant but theirs don't look nice, i.e. the foliage doesn't shine, leaves burned or getting smaller towards the tips, the plant gets leggy and so on.
    Thank you for additional information. (Stupid me, I should have asked all those questions too in the first post. That would have saved you guys time re-open this thread again!!! Sign! You learn something new all the time, don't you!)

Xuan

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Life would be pretty boring if there weren't new things to learn all the time, wouldn't it? Episcias don't like too much sun, but they'll take a little as long as the humidity is sufficient, which I'm guessing won't be a problem for you! They prefer warm temperatures (not below about 15C.) but don't seem to mind really high temps as long as there's good humidity again, and they prefer to be evenly moist, not soggy or too dry. Drying out will brown leaf edges. They do tend to get leggy after a time, but not perhaps as quickly as AVs, but I do re-start mine periodically if I think they need it. Very easy to do. Often I start new plants from stolens just for fun, and to give to friends, and like to put quite a few in a hanging basket so it'll be full faster. Pinning down stolons also works. That's a great price! Probably didn't pay much more than that for my first episcia, but that was a really long time ago, when money was worth more!

• robitaillenancy1
    17 years ago

Xuan,

There is an episcia forum on Yahoo and there is a very strong group in Singapour, I believe headed by a man named Wilson. You will find lots of information at both places.

Nancy

• haxuan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Many thanks, Nancy. I will peep in there to see what Wilson and his group are doing.