Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My blooming Streps

Posted by davioletman 10 (strepbystrep@gmail.com) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 22:54

Here are some pics of my plants that are currently in bloom.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: My Strep pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My blooming Streps

What gorgeous flowers! But I probably shouldn't have looked because I got a case of the " I wants!" Thanks for posting these photos.

Terri

o

They are spectacular. I love the yellow ones, now I really, really want one of those! I only have a few streps, but they are doing very well. Thanks so much for sharing these pictures.

o

Aha! Here's where your photos have gone. :) Earlier I posted on an old thread that used to have a valid link to your pics. I'm glad to run across the link in this thread.

Patrick

o

davioletman,I lost the link you sent me about your streps..Could you send it to me again please? I keep coming back to look at your pretties!

Jan

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 17:48

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin....

o

Finally! I'm getting some nice Eastern European Streps in my collection. My chapter of the Gesneriad Society is propagating over 20 of them to sell in a future plant show & sale...an event we host in Seattle every March.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 15:24

I love the patterning off the Russian and Polish new cultivars.

o

Frilly shape comes from Swedish Strep Sylvia. I

o

Thanks for posting the pictures they are breautiful :O)

o

Your flowers are all so beautiful. Must be nice to have such a green thumb. :)

o

murraysmom - if your thumb is green enough to grow African violets, you should be able to grow streps, too. Their culture is very similar, just do NOT overwater the streps. Water them until water drains out the bottom of the pot, then don't water again until you see just the beginning of leaf wilt. Do NOT allow them to sit in a saucer of water after watering. Otherwise, light and fertilizer is about the same as AVs...they prefer a little cooler temps than AVs, but will accept low 70's by day (mine have withstood low 80's during the summer when warmer days and heat from the lights brought the temps up).

One cultural factor that's important to observe...when you pot up a strep plant, do not place the crown lower in the potting mix than it originally was - it is easy to rot the crowns if they're planted deeper.
Patrick

o

Wow! I'm hooked! I didn't know this group of plants was so varied and beautiful.

o

Beautiful! Do you sell/trade leaves or plants? I'm really interested in that yellow one but I won't be able to anything till spring because it's ten below right now !

o

Nice! And there I thought streps were all leaf and just a blossom or two... Now I'll have to see about getting some of them as well....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here