Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonesriver_gw

Lyndon Lyon Greenhouse

stonesriver
18 years ago

I've done a lot of mail ordering of columnea: Cuttings and started plants. I will tell you, never, ever have I received the quality of plants I received from Lyndon Lyon.

These columnea each had at least three plants per pot. And they were all healthy with no yellow or sickly leaves. I paid a dollar less from Pat's Pets for nice plants; but they only had one small cutting per pot.

I've heard good things about Lyon but was totally unprepared for the quality and size of these plants.

Now, to the episcias: Ditto. Wonderful, well-established, healthy plants.

I was cautious about buying from vendors after an experience I had with one well-known vendor who sent me small, dry columnea cuttings. Pinched off the mother plant (not cut), plopped into baggies and shipped without the benefit of wrapping the ends in moist paper towels (like Pat's Pets does). By the time I took off the dead ends, I barely had tip cuttings left. And this was nearly $60 worth of plants!

Lyon Greenhouse has changed my mind. They come highly recommended from me. I have also had great luck with Pat's Pets but Lyon just wow'd me :-)

Have a safe weekend,

Linda

Comments (6)

• mwedzi
    18 years ago

I completely agree, Lyons is fabulous. I've ordered Episcias, Streps, and African violets from them and they were all the biggest I've ever gotten in mail order. Of course, they still aren't as big as the ones they sell in person at shows, but still, very nice size considering they shipped them. I highly recommend them.

• theraglady47
    18 years ago

I have had the pleasure of going there, it is such a wonderful place. We live just over an hour away. Hummm, havn't been in a year or two. think I might need to go on another day trip.

• jon_d
    18 years ago

This is just a theory of mine, mind you, but I think the reason why the plants Lyons sells are so nice is that they really know how to grow plants. The greenhouses are the same ones that Lyndon Lyon built, and the current owner, Paul Sorano, is not only Lyon's grandson, but he grew up following his grandpa around, learning everything about the plants and their culture. When Lyon retired, Paul took over, and kept up the great practices that his grandfather learned. I've been lucky enough to be at conventions where Lyons plants are sold, on quite a few occasions. They always stand out on the sales benches, and they hold up well when I get them home and grow them on. At the sales he often has plants that aren't in the catalogs yet.

Jon

• ooojen
    18 years ago

It's good to hear when people are happy with sellers. I've looked at LL's site a few times, but the shipping (rather, handling) charges have made me balk. Most of the plants I was interested in cost $5.50, but the shipping for three plants (a $16.50 order) is $12.15 by ground service ...and they highly recommend 2 day air for $20.85. Ouch! Even at the cheaper rate it bumps the total to darned near 10 bucks a plant...one-at-a-time ebay rates!
    Now if I could just squeeze out an order for 25 plants, shipping would only be about 45 cents per plant. Oh, this is going in a baaad direction ...;)

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Oh, but I do like the way you think, Jen! The last plant order I had made up kinda made me gulp when I saw the total BEFORE the s/h charges, but then it was about 35 bucks for that! It's still there, and I may go ahead and do those final clicks yet. The only plant orders I regret are the ones I don't make--well, that's what I tell myself anyway. And it's usually true!

• maureen_ottawa
    18 years ago

At least you don't have to factor in phytosanitary charges and additional handling costs for shipping across the border.

LL has wonderful plants and great service. And I'm glad that they do often sell at Canadian AV conventions. They also replaced a plant that died. I will definitely buy from them again.