Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaf_lady

Question about Episcias

Leaf_Lady
19 years ago

How do I tell which Episcias to keep in bubble bowls and which ones to keep in pots. I have read that you can hang them and some pictures that I have checked out seem to be in something like a bulb pot. whats the proper way to keep them and how do I know when ordering what to do, it does not seem to tell anywhere. Help, Portia

Comments (4)

• Audrey
    19 years ago

I have Episcia "Chocolate Soldier" and its habit is to trail over the side of the pot. I have it in a 6" pot, and the plant totals 30" from tob to bottom. It is on a bookcase and trails down the end. It also has red flowers and has been blooming constantly for weeks. If you don't want it to be so large, you just pick off the trailing plantlets.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of Episcia

• robitaillenancy1
    19 years ago

The only episcias I keep in a terrarium are the pink variegated ones. Others grow in natural air.

Nancy

• perlite
    19 years ago

I automatically pop them into a terrarium environment when they come home with me, but in a (very) recent move, had to place three of them in the bathroom (which is airy and windowed) before the "terrarium" (an old 50 gallon aquarium) got here. They are still very glowy & happy looking after about 10 days, but I put them back in the box once it arrived because it's lighted. These were unnamed hybrids that look like they may be related to one I've seen called 'Silver Surfer.' Markings are light green with a silver midrib and some chocolate here and there.
    I have another that I'm pretty sure is the pink version of 'Acajou' and that baby seems nearly drought tolerant!
    Not that I'm sloppy with labels or anything...

• greenelbows
    19 years ago

Well, I guess I have to be the picky guy this time. The picture above is a nice healthy E. cupreata, but it is NOT CHOCOLATE SOLDIER!!!!! This comes up regularly. I used to grow Chocolate Soldier and have been looking for another for some time (anybody know who has one?) It's an old hybrid--think I got mine in the early 'seventies--and I carried it around for numerous moves but I guess one too many. It has a smooth even chocolate colored leaf with just the center vein and barely into the larger veins in a light silvery green. It is a beautiful plant and quite distinctive. It does not have a green leaf with splashes of brown and a brown edge. It is solid brown except for a very small area in the center of the leaf--kind of a tree pattern I've heard it called. I don't know why, but someone a long time ago I guess started calling episcias 'Chocolate Soldier' whether they were or not. Please help clear up this confusion. I thank you!