Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I found it!

Posted by Andalee Z6a, N ID (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 04 at 1:43

The perfect self-watering pot for my strep. It's basically like the self-watering AV pots that have an outer and inner pot (glazed and unglazed, respectively). It's 6" in diameter, generously tall, and the perfect shade of green. So, I'm wondering now just what kind of potting mix I put in it. When I put my AV's in the 4" AV pots, I have to take soil off the root ball for them to fit. My strep is in a 4" pot now, and will be sizing up dramatically. (But I don't think it will be overpotted . . . this plant just keeps on growing and growing).

Anyway, should I just get a bag of good AV mix and add 50% perlite, or what?

Thanks so much for your help. Sooner or later I'm going to post pics of my gessie seedlings so I can figure out just what they are, and how to care for them.

Take care, and have a great weekend!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I found it!

Andalee,

It sounds like you are already wick watering. I would use the same soil mixture that you use for your African Violets. If you buy your favorite soil and you add 50% pearlite for your African Violets, then that is what I would use for your strep. I put my strep in the same wicking soil that I use for my African violets and they do just fine.

Streps need to dry out a little more, so I would try to do that a little more often than you do with your violets.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here