Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to gloxinia - Have some questions

Posted by haxuan Vietnam (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 2:11

Hi, I just bought two beautiful potted gloxinias recently. Both are in full bloom. I'm keeping them in doors, the first two weeks near my front door and now they're standing at my east-facing windowsill. I really don't know anything about gloxinia and so I have the following questions:
- are gloxinias house plants? Can I grow them as I do with AVs, i.e. keep in doors, wick-watering, etc.?
- when should I repot these? They're in full bloom now.
- what's their life cycle like? Do they die down and come back up again? What should I do to keep them alive and flower?
Thank you very much for your help.

Xuan (from Vietnam)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to gloxinia - Have some questions

Xuan,

Gloxinia is actually sinningia speciosa. So it is quite close to AV by its requirements. I think it likes just a bit more ligt, yes it blooms and then goes into the rest mode. You cut on watering when it sleeps, then it comes back and you repot it to the new AV soil.

Irina

o
RE: New to gloxinia - Have some questions

If you will send me your email, I can send you some info on these plants.

Nancy

robitaillenancy1@hotmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here