Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown leaf tips

Posted by dorisbb 6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 7:50

About four months ago, I bought a small Columnea orientandina, which consists of two plants potted close together. Soon afterward I noticed that the leaf tips on the larger plant were turning rusty brown, though not drying up. (I can't remember what the smaller plant was doing.) At first I thought that might be a characteristic of the plant (it's not unattractive); then I decided I was overfertilizing. Now I notice that the smaller plant is turning limp and shriveling up. Unfortunately, I didn't quarantine the plant when I received it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I be panicking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown leaf tips

It's hard to know for sure, but my guess is that your problems were caused by a combination of factors. The original tip browning could have been due to a fertilizer buildup, but more likely was a response to low relative humidity in the growing area. Most people respond to something like that by applying more water, which doesn't increase the humidity, but can rot the roots. My guess is that's what happened. I'd try putting it outside in a shady place for now, while the weather, even in zone 6, is on the hot and humid side, and letting the soil become dryer between waterings. You may also want to repot it in a free-draining medium (cactus soil is a good choice, or a soilless mix with lots of perlite), but don't increase the pot size much, if any at all.

o
RE: Brown leaf tips

Thank you. I am so relieved to know that I haven't introduced some deadly disease to my other plants. I will do as you recommend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here