Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol222_gw

Alsobia grooming

carol222
15 years ago

I have grown an Alsobia from seed into a 3 inch pot. It's sending out a lot of stolens. Do I need to cut these off as it grows or keep them on?

Thanks,

Carol

Comments (10)

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Carol,

Sorry that you have not had a response to this earlier. I don't get over here very often.

I would imagine that you could do both or should I say either way. Personally I like to grow my alsobia letting the stolens alone. I think it makes a wonderful hanging plant. If the stolen trail gets too long you can always cut it to a desirable length.

I hope this helps

Larry

• carol222
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Larry. I'm thinking of putting it in a larger and hanging pot, so some of the stolens can root and they can trail down as it grows. How do you pot it?
    Carol

• larry_b
    15 years ago

I gave my old alsobia away. It was in a 5 inch pot. I started a new alsobia in January and it has grown quite a bit since then. I have it in a 5 inch tub. Some of the first stolens have rooted in the tub as you had talked about. I now have shoots hanging a foot over the edge of the pot. When it gets a little larger I plan on putting it into a 5 inch pot so that there will be a little more room for the roots. As the plant gets larger I can't foresee putting it into an even bigger pot.

I use the same soil for my alsobia as I do my African violets. I wick water my alsobia as I do my African violets. If you plan on wicking your alsobia make sure that the soil is porous enough so as not to become too soggy and promote root rot. Also it is good to let the soil dry out about once a month. This also makes for a healthy root system.

Larry

• carol222
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, Larry. I'll do as you say.
    Carol

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Carol, you are welcome. :o)

Larry

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Carol,

My alsobia dianthiflora just bloomed. I thought you might want to see it. The bloom should be white but the grow lights make it look a little pink.

Larry

• carol222
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Larry,
    Thanks for the lovely pic. I just got back from a week in Canada. I'm hoping to go into work and find my alsobia got jealous of yours and is blooming, too. I really like the frilly edges.
    Carol

• larry_b
    15 years ago

I got a little better picture of one of its blooms.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hey Larry..Your Alsobia is beautiful. I loves its frilly flower. I hope one may mine will look as nice as yours.
    You mention growing Alsobia similar to AV's. Do you mean, small pots? 1/3rd leaf diameter, etc? I just got one today..It's sitting in the sink for now..Should I repot in the same soil used for AV's? Thanks, Toni

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

Thanks! When I said that I grow my alsobia like I do my African violets I only meant as far as the soil is concerned. The one-third rule doesn't apply. I'm not sure quite how they like their roots. I think they grow as a ground cover in their native environment. I have this one in a 5 inch pan pot and will probably repotted into a deeper 5 inch pot as it gets larger. It will soon get the size of a good size cantaloupe.

Larry

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022