Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Flowered Episcias?

Posted by Agrinerd 6b NC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 04 at 10:20

Of course I enjoy Episcias for the foliage, but when I saw "Blue Nile", I was impressed by the flowers as well. Are there others out there with flowers that are just as large, especially in pink?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Flowered Episcias?

There are several in the lilacina/fimbriata group that 'Blue Nile' belongs to, but I can't think of any with pink flowers. Good old 'Pink Panther' has the largest pink blooms I can think of when she is happy--they can vary quite a bit with good care, warmth, and humidity. Ones I have grown like 'Blue Nile' are hard at least for me to bloom in the house in the winter time, because they need to be in a terrarium for humidity and then they don't get enough light even under my light set-up--maybe with 4 tubes. Outside in steamy south Louisiana in the summertime they're pretty easy. I think my favorite of this group is 'Chocolate Velour', which has lovely foliage as well as large fringe-y lavendar flowers. I did once grow a nice 'Cleopatra' in a large bubble-bowl with a fluorescent 'circlite' right on top of the lid, and I've been thinking I should try that with some of these humidity lovers--or maybe I should say demanders.

o

Greenelbows, a what great idea about the circlite right on top of the lid. Will have to try it!

o

After I wrote that I wondered if Circlites are still made. But the new bulbs made for lamps would probably work just as well--maybe better. I think the Circlite was not real strong. But it fit just right on top of that bowl!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here