Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonesriver_gw

Columnea hirta 'Light Prince'

stonesriver
17 years ago

I was wondering if any of you grew 'Light Prince'? If so, I would love some cuttings.

I can send you my chirita, columnea and AV trailer lists and send you cuttings/leaves in exchange.

Thanks!

Linda

Comments (7)

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bump

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I thought surely someone was growing it, Linda! It's one that didn't do too well with our heat and humidity if I recall correctly--several of us tried it some years ago when we had two active clubs locally. Now one club's gone and the other is basically a plant exchange/support group for past-their-prime ladies! It was more fun to have shows and the competition it brings to do the best you can with your plants. But I know we all lost our 'Light Princes'.

• irina_co
    17 years ago

I have one and it is on its last leg. It never did good for me.

Please -please- please - Greenelbows - tell me what does it want - more light, less light, dry, wet, cold?

I got it from Rob.

Irina

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Irina:

I had one and it was beautiful! Was huge and bloomed very well. Then, all the columnea on the same shelf (the bottom) got some sort of something (or suffered from the winter draft when I opened the door to let Olivia in and out) and went kaput.

My 'Light Prince' was on a reservoir, fed with Dyna-Gro and Dyna-Bloom and on the end of a bottom shelf where it was cooler. I bought two from Lyndon Lyon Nurseries and put them in one 6" Volkman hanging basket. They filled that basket within three months.

That's all I can tell you. Maybe they like cooler temps and not as much light as others? I'm almost certain they didn't like the draft ;-)

Linda

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Yes, my impression is they wanted cooler temperatures. It's been a long time, but I think they did well all winter and then slowly dwindled when it got hot. I think they need more light than AVs.

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered some 'Light Prince' from Rob's. I plan to repot immediately. I understand from other posts that Rob's uses a heavier potting mix and might not be suitable for reservoir watering. I'm going to put them back from a South-facing window so it's cooler.

My other columnea are either in that window (with no curtains) or under lights and all are thriving and have been for three+ years.

Like I said, the only columnea I lost were those on that bottom lighted shelf. The columnea and chirita on the upper shelves did fine but they didn't get a draft.

Keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted . . . pun intended ;-)

Linda

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Linda - good luck.

I took mine to the basement. It should be cooler. may be it will recover.

Irina