Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columnea hirta 'Light Prince'

Posted by stonesriver 6B Tennessee (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 14:27

I was wondering if any of you grew 'Light Prince'? If so, I would love some cuttings.

I can send you my chirita, columnea and AV trailer lists and send you cuttings/leaves in exchange.

Thanks!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columnea hirta 'Light Prince'

Bump

o

I thought surely someone was growing it, Linda! It's one that didn't do too well with our heat and humidity if I recall correctly--several of us tried it some years ago when we had two active clubs locally. Now one club's gone and the other is basically a plant exchange/support group for past-their-prime ladies! It was more fun to have shows and the competition it brings to do the best you can with your plants. But I know we all lost our 'Light Princes'.

o

I have one and it is on its last leg. It never did good for me.

Please -please- please - Greenelbows - tell me what does it want - more light, less light, dry, wet, cold?

I got it from Rob.

Irina

o

Irina:

I had one and it was beautiful! Was huge and bloomed very well. Then, all the columnea on the same shelf (the bottom) got some sort of something (or suffered from the winter draft when I opened the door to let Olivia in and out) and went kaput.

My 'Light Prince' was on a reservoir, fed with Dyna-Gro and Dyna-Bloom and on the end of a bottom shelf where it was cooler. I bought two from Lyndon Lyon Nurseries and put them in one 6" Volkman hanging basket. They filled that basket within three months.

That's all I can tell you. Maybe they like cooler temps and not as much light as others? I'm almost certain they didn't like the draft ;-)

Linda

o

Yes, my impression is they wanted cooler temperatures. It's been a long time, but I think they did well all winter and then slowly dwindled when it got hot. I think they need more light than AVs.

o

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered some 'Light Prince' from Rob's. I plan to repot immediately. I understand from other posts that Rob's uses a heavier potting mix and might not be suitable for reservoir watering. I'm going to put them back from a South-facing window so it's cooler.

My other columnea are either in that window (with no curtains) or under lights and all are thriving and have been for three+ years.

Like I said, the only columnea I lost were those on that bottom lighted shelf. The columnea and chirita on the upper shelves did fine but they didn't get a draft.

Keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted . . . pun intended ;-)

Linda

o

Linda - good luck.

I took mine to the basement. It should be cooler. may be it will recover.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here