Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
S. saxorum or AV Blue Twinkle up for trade or postage

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 15:20

Tis that time of year again for me to whack my AV Blue Twinkle "to the ground". For those unfamiliar with my methods, I will mention that I grow this AV in a terrarium. It is actually the only method by which I have ever had success with AVs. They die on my otherwise.

Blue Twinkle is a mini trailer. In my terr, it forms a "shrub" like this:

2013 photo AVBlueTwinkleB_zps49b38049.jpg

At such a point, I then whack it back to this:

photo IMG_9655_zps8ecf1971.jpg

Doesn't take long for it to get back to this:

Sept week 1  2013 photo IMG_9731_zpsc83c6111.jpg

And before you know it, it is back to shrub stage and I repeat the cycle.

Oh, and also have Strepocarpus saxorum cuttings available for postage or trade as it too needs trimmed.

Jan 2014 photo Streptocarpussaxorum_zpsf01b20ad.jpg

As I have done in the past, rather than just toss the plant material away, I offer it up for postage or trade (contiguous US and PR, only). Oh, and I should mention that these will be stems with leaves cuttings --- not just a few leaves plucked off a plant.

Postage typically runs around $6.

Trades: The only trades I would be interested in would be micro-mini Sinningia or micro-mini AVs (preferably heavily variegated).

If interested, email me through GW. PLEASE make sure that your settings allow me to email you back via GW or that you include your email address in the email you send me. Offer is good while supplies last or until I get too rambunctious and simply throw the whacked off parts away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: S. saxorum or AV Blue Twinkle up for trade or postage

i would be interested in some of both if you have some for postage thank oyu

o

i would be interested in some of both if you have some for postage thank you sent an email

o

I am also interested in the African Violet Blue Twinkle for postage or trade (made a list feel free to look!)

o

I am also interested in the African Violet Blue Twinkle for postage or trade (made a list feel free to look!)

o

I'm interested in some Strep leaves. I sent you an email. Thanks!

o

I have been remiss in posting an update .......

This round of the AV whackage is over.

Still have lots of cuttings possible from the Streptocarpus saxorum that I could take to trim it back....

o

So let me ask you Paul-
I've had S. Saxorum for a couple of years. Last year I cut stems off a fairly old plant and rooted them.

Once they were nicely rooted, I planted them in a basket. However, they don't seem to have rhizomes like regular streps do.

Perhaps I was doing something wrong? I seemed have ended up with two basket's full of single plants (Saw this when I was re-potting).

Thanks-
Judy

o

I have yet to pull up the saxorum in my terr (though that time is fast approaching) but I have never any indication of rhizome formation. It seems to grow as a "regular" plant.  photo shrug_zps2cccf04f.gif

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here