Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
domeman

100 gesneriads

domeman
17 years ago

When I joined the AGGS I received a free mixed gesneriad seed pack. From this small seed packet I now have over 100 seedlings! The variation in leaf shape is enormous and I have no idea what most of them are. I guess I will have to wait for more growth and then flowers. Exciting and a little overwhelming..... Any IDs will be welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:834389}}

Comments (8)

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Hello there,

I think the central one is the Chirita Tamiana http://gesneriads.ca/chirit68.htm, and I bet you will get more than one of them - they have a very good percentage of hatching. The sad one in upper left can be some kind of Kohleria - give it more light, the dark green - upper right - can be another chirita, but you need to wait until they will be bigger and bloom. Most of the gesneriads prefer at least 50% humidity and 2 to 4 fluorescent tube light. So - if you want them to grow and bloom faster ... And you need to fertilize them with a urea free fertizer - 1/4 to 1/8 teaspoon per gallon. If i am not mistaken - you are an orchid lover as well - you can use orchid mix.

Out of our crowd Jon_D is your best bet in identifying rare gesneriads - he grows lots of them. You can join gesneriphiles mailing list - and when your babies will start to bloom - it will be the time to post your pics.

Good luck

irina

• domeman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Irina

I think your ID as Tamina is correct - and yes there are several. Sinensis is the only one I am growing at the moment - and these grow to 2ft across for me.

The seedlings are growing indoors (winter here)in glass tanks under double fluoros - grow light + cool white. The lights are on a 16hr:8hr cycle. The seedlings are about 8" from the lights and most seem to be doing OK. I wonder if I should move them closer?

Humidity is around 90% and temperatures 65-70. They are growing in 1:1:1 peat:perlite::vermiculite and fertilised weekly with half strength AV.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:834390}}

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Tamiana is a WEED. Nice looking.
    Looks like there is another chirita in a back right of your fish tank.

I think you are doing absolutely great. You again do not know if there is something that likes it a bit more or a bit less - mixed seeds are basically what the seed fund heroes - and they are real heroes - sweep from the table after repackaging is done. You can move them up to 6". Just keep an eye on them if something gets bleached you can move it back down.

Cheers

Irina

• robitaillenancy1
    17 years ago

I'm just guessing here but:

At 5:00 (if the plants were standing on a clock) maybe AV
    At 6:00 May be AV
    At 7:00 May be Petrocosmea
    At 8:00 May be Chirita possibly AV

I don't think there are a lot of AV seeds in the seed the Gesneriad Society gives us so I could very well be wrong.

Nancy

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

There was a comment on the gesneriad list that the most serious growers who were going to the convention were working very hard to get their plants ready to take, and train sitters to take care of the ones at home. I know Jon, who is very good at identifying things, has said he has a great many plants for the sale. So you'll probably hear more when everyone's home again! And your plants will be a little larger and easier to identify.

• domeman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Irina

The plant you thought was C. Tamiana just flowered - your ID was correct! 6 mo. seed to flower. Now to wait for the others :-)

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Congrats,

Dale Martens - a mother of Texas Hot Chili and many many more beautiful plants strongly recommends to repot seedlings every 2 weeks. It is enough just to lift the plant and plant it back to the same container - and it increases their growth rate and reduces the time to bloom tremendously. So - Domeman - get your fork and start lifting them - we all want to know what you got.

Cheers

Irina

PS About our Jon_D - I had the pleasure meeting him at the convention and asking him all the kinds of questions any time I could see him. It is fascinating. You just do not want him to stop talking ever.

• jon_d
    17 years ago

The seedling at the top of the picture is probably Sinningia sellovii. The one to its right may well be Chirita sinensis. But, the photo is a little dark. I would suggest you post photos to Gesneriphiles as your plants mature. Chirita tamiana is very fast from seed to flower. It also can self pollinate, making seed pods that contain enough seed to produce hundreds of seedlings. So, far it has not been found to hybridize with any other chiritas.

Jon

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21