Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrick888_gw

Buell's Greenhouses in Connecticut?

Patrick888
12 years ago

Do the Buell's Greenhouses in Eastford, Connecticut still exist? I read that Albert Buell passed away about 2 years ago and saw another reference that spoke of when he used to own the greenhouses. So, I'm wondering if they're still in operation, perhaps under another name?

I have their catalog that dates back 45 years...have drug it around with me wherever I lived, all these years. If gesneriads are still coming out of those greenhouses, I'd love to see today's catalog - printed or web site.

TIA for any info you can share.

Patrick

Comments (69)

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

ntuitive1 I still have my color copy of Buells African Violet catalog. And a few others as well. I wouldn't part with it for the world. It is one of my few links to my "violet days"! I still love those older varieties.--Rosie

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, those were the days Rosie. Unfortunately, I do not foresee those days ever returning.

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

Nope, neither do I. I like this forum for trading violets etc,,,,,kinda seems like you are a little bit personal. Friendly. I have traded or done postage since I don't have a lot now on the AV Exchange and those people seem so nice. We have very lively conversations and sometimes we have to agree to disagree. THAT makes the world go 'round.

But to just run off an order to an online company kinda takes the fun out of it. I know we have to do it,,,,,,but it is rather impersonal. Just my 2 cents. Rosie

• User
    9 years ago

Rosie, I feel the same way. However, it is so hard for the small commercial grower, between labor, supplies, heat, government regulation it is difficult to break even let alone make a profit. And today liability insurance, with all the sue happy people out there I would be very leary of letting walk through a greenhouse today if had a business. The joy of our hobby is becoming more limited for sure.

Dave

• User
    9 years ago

Can I pop in here? I'm new the AVs... just been two years now that I've started growing them and reading everything I can get my hands on, and snatching up pretty ones at the greenhouse. ;-) But I have loved placing online orders.. maybe I'm weird! I have ordered twice from Lyondon Lyon and once from Fancy Bloomers... but I DO love the three trades I've done on the AV forum recently! There's something rewarding about connecting with people on a personal level that is so missing in todays world of facebook and texting. :-) I enjoyed reading your thoughts Dave and Rosie. Thanks to people like you who have been into plants/violets for years and years... this hobby is still going strong!

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

Hi Su!!! Welcome and jump in any time!!!!! Rosie

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Hey davioletman! Did you ever get the Buell tribute going on the web? Would love to read it! Sorry but I just can't part with my large, colorful catalog that I received from him! I thought about it,,,,but just can't. I still read it and believe it or not it is a great reference for me! Rosie

• web4deb
    8 years ago

Albert Buell was my grandfather and I grew up next to the greenhouses. I had spent a lot of time in the greenhouses. Many people didn't know that he had a private greenhouse attached to the house that had an in-ground swimming pool and citrus trees growing around it. There was nothing better than going into that pool in the middle of winter!

-Rob T.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Welcome Rob! So glad you joined this conversation! As you have read, I still cherish my color copy of his fabulous catalog! He posed a leaf with the flower on top of it to show both. AND his catalog was presented color coordinated! All the white together, the blue together etc. I just love it! And still do.

I bet those are sweet memories for you. And just know he made great memories for people like me back in the day! Maybe you can share some more information of your grandfather and his violet career! Would love to hear it first hand! Thanks so much and again,,,,,welcome !!! Rosie

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    8 years ago

This is not about the Buell's but it is related. Many of us who have been growing since Hector was a pup will remember the Petersons. They were a German couple who lived in my city (Cincinnati) and they were a major supplier of AV's world-wide. Their greenhouses were about 10 miles from my house and Mr. Peterson would sell retail on Saturday mornings from 8-10. What an absolute treat it was to visit those greenhouses and choose the latest varieties that Mr. and Mrs. P. were working on. They had greenhouses for propagating and ones for plantlets and finished plants. I don't remember prices but I would come home with several boxes for $25.00. It was where I bought my first 'Firebird' which is still my favorite violet. Sadly, this company is now gone, as well. The Petersons retired and no one bought the business. The greenhouses were leveled shortly afterwards. Sad to see so many of the old violet growers gone-Granger Gardens, Tinaris....

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

What a nice memory. I also love Firebird and would love to have another one. Not Firebird ll,,,,,but the original Firebird. I am not familiar with the Petersons,,,wait,,,,was she Edith V (I think) Peterson? I suddenly had that name pop into my head. Hmmmm. Thanks!!! Rosie

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

I googled 'firebird african violet' and found it for sale. Did you ever get one?

--Rick in CT

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Hi Rick! Thanks,,,,no not yet. Where did you see it? Rosie

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Rosie - I thinkl Firebird 2 is an original. Firebird 1 - deviated from original to flat leaves and narrow white edge without frills. I am not an oldtimer - but I was told by an oldtimer that that'

s exactly how she remembers Firebird when it showed up.

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Go to ebay and search for 'firebird african violet'. The flower of Firebird 1 looks completely different from the flower of Firebird 2, if this is the correct plant?

--Rick in CT

• User
    8 years ago

Firebird 1 is the original Firebird. It has dark green wavy foliage and a red flower with a distinct white edge.

• User
    8 years ago

The color is more red than in this photo shows but it gives you an idea of the flower.

• User
    8 years ago

Mr. Buell only grew Firebird 1 for many years. Firebird 2 came along afterward. I was not impressed by the flower or foliage. I frequently visited Buell's greenhouses from 1974 to 1986. i believe I started to see Firebird 2 in the early 80's. I seem to recall asking Mr. Buell about the twoFirebird's and he said the Firebird 1 was the original. My memory is not as good now so I can not say for sure.

• irina_co
    8 years ago

I definitely prefer Davioletman's plant - and wouldn't bother with the one Rick posted if I would have a choice. But right now - what I see on Ebay - they sell as #1 - one from Rick's photo and as #2 - the other one. Somewhere it got switched on the way.

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

Personally, I find Firebird 2 much more appealing too.

--Rr

• irina_co
    8 years ago

So- do not buy plants NOT in bloom.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

The original Firebird has beautiful wavy foliage and a nice red in the flower. I guess it would be the one you refer to as #2. As far as I am concerned the pretty one was out first so I will forever call that #1.

That other one is, well, I don't want to be rude, but it is very ugly. Yes you heard me,,,,Rosie who loves all violets,,,,,,say one is ugly. But that is my opinion.

Not to worry, I will find #1, the one davioletman posted a pix of--- and the only violet I buy out of bloom is off the clearance rack at Lowe's. Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do!!! Rosie

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Now you got me totally confused - which one is ugly? Mine, Rick's or Dave's?

By the way - no matter how wonderful this plant is - it is a dropper, flowers are not that large in comparison with moden AVs, the leaves are wavy and quite brittle. It grows symmetrical on its own - but touch it - and the leaf will break off.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Oh so sorry Irina! I love yours and Dave's. But let me ask,,,on my computer yours looks a little purple. Dave's looks red. Did your color photograph true? Sometimes mine don't that is why I am asking. But if your's photographed true and it is in fact purple well, then we have another winner!!!!! The one I referred to as (gulp) ugly is Rick's. Sorry Rick. But the one I had way back was red and white. With that beautiful wavy foliage. She is one of my favorites! Rosie

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

Actually, I never heard of Firebird before I saw this thread--I was only relaying requested info on it. One of my actual favorites is Bman's Etna:

Highly variable flower color pattern, quilted leaves. In spite of numerous cuttings, it has never sported. I have a picture somewhere that shows 2 different color flowers on the same plant, one lavender, one dark blue.

Rick in CT

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

WOW that is beautiful! Where did you get it??? It is going on my WISH LIST!!!! Rosie

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

I got mine at the Philadelphia Flower Show about 4 years ago. I see them all the time on eBay.

Rick

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Rick -

this is a wonderful oldie. Rare find. This one is not registered - but it should be from mid-90s - and hybrids by Bruno Curcuruto are exceptional show quality plants. Your responsibility - is to share it with all of us!

(I know that you are not asking for an advice - but I cannot keep my mouth shut - your soil needs more perlite - it is too black)

Irina

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Rosie - I had Firebird 1 at some point - and it had a color just like Rick's plant. I think the flowers were more symmetrical - but - it is quite normal to have some blossoms shaped differently.

The color of my flower is lighter, not as burgundy - but not as light as Dave's. I made a photo under a light from corkscrew fluorescent bulbs - and they make the colors a bit off.

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

The soil was probably plain old MG AV mix straight out of the bag. I have gotten more and more into amending mediums, with perlite, scoria, peat,etc.

--Rick

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Hi Rick! What is scoria? I know I could google it,,,but I feel it is beneficial to have the answer here for all of us to see. Hope you don't mind. Rosie

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

Technically, I guess scoria is volcanic slag--pumice. What I use is called GrowStone, it's synthetic pumice made from recycled glass, and I add the smaller grade to medium for succulents, hippeastrums, anything that requires faster drainage. Most hydroponic stores carry it.

What I really need is a greenhouse! Your eyes would roll if you saw how many plants I have indoors over the winter.

--Rick

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

hahahaha No they would not roll!!!! They would glaaaazzzzeeee over!!!! Just like when I walk in a greenhouse in the spring! I just stand there for a moment (or two) taking it all in. I see a mass of color first. THEN I see the individual plants that make up that color!

And you should see what I have tucked in front of every window I own! hehehe isn't plant growing fun!!!!! Although I admit,,,,,I do have a few empty spaces, BUT I am saving them for the violets and streps I hope to bring home from the Ann Arbor (Mi) violet show! I can't wait! April 3rd!!!!!!!!!

We have one of those shops here, actually a couple of them and I always want to stop in but I forget to. Just to see what they are all about. Never know what I may learn!!!!

The reason I asked about scoria is I have a baggie full of something I can't identify. I bought an amaryllis bulb (Christmas clearance at Lowe's). Course the bulb is no longer in that "stuff" and I just wonder what it is.

At first I thought it was finely milled peat. But I don't think so. It is the color of peat but it just seems more like dry soil of a sort. Has a nice texture to it and when I poured it out of the pot and into a baggie there was no "dust". I ran my fingers thru it and it didn't stick to me. Wouldn't peat kind of stick??? I really can't explain it. It isn't soil either. I will probably work it into my compost pile. Oh well,,,please don't send me over to the Amaryllis forum! I like it here!!! lol Rosie

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

As I tell everyone, I don't have a kitchen.

I have a greenhouse with a stove!

;-]

--Rr

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Oh funny!!!! Love it! Rosie

• irina_co
    8 years ago

I would take a greenhouse with a heater, airconditioner, couple gardeners - and a gazebo nearby - so Rosie and I can sit and drink ice tea while the staff is working.

;-))

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

Rosie was it coconut fiber or that grainy weird stuff they sometimes put Lucky Bamboo in?

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Ohhhh,,,,,Irina what a lovely thought. I am dreaming about that already!

Sans,,,As far as that "stuff", it is not fibrous. It is like sand running thru my fingers but it is not sand. It is a rich, dark brown (such a pretty color) and like nothing I have ever seen before. It is a finely milled texture that reminds me of sand, but is not sand. Whew! Rosie

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

Maybe take a baggie of it to your local expert and see what they say?

--Rr

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

Actually, I would be quite happy with a small house, because it's just me, but a larger, attached greenhouse that is a live-in environment...a few pieces of patio furniture, enough room for either a hammock or a table for bridge....I can dream, can't I?

--Rr

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Good idea Rick. Maybe when I go to the Hydroponics place I will see what they say about it. Don't know when I am going. Gotta be when I am "off my leash", so to speak! But if I find out, I will post results!

And yes, we can all dreeeeeeeam! Rosie

• Pam Kelly
    7 years ago

This is for Dave in CT. Thank you for all the information about Buell's. I use to live in MA and went to Buell's all the time. Everybody there were the nicest most helpful people. I loved going there. Moved to NC in 1987 and several years later, on a visit to MA, I went back to Buell's and nobody could tell me what happen to them, so I was glad to read your post. Thank you.

• User
    7 years ago

I have decided to start a group on Facebook to keep alive the memory of the Buell's and their greenhouses. Please join me and share your pictures and memories of the Buell's and/or your visits to the greenhouses. The group's name is Buell's African Violets, Gloxinias and other Gesneriads just like his catalog front cover stated. Looking forward to seeing your comments, pictures and stories.

• User
    7 years ago

I am still looking for any information anyone has to put on the Facebook group. If anyone has anything to share please send it to this email address;

strepbystrep@gmail.com

Thank you! Already many of Mr. Buell's family members have joined including his daughter.

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

This is one of those times I wish I had a facebook acc't. sigh......But I am glad you are doing this! Rosie

• Sandra Manning
    6 years ago

I was with my family every summer from 1960-1974 at the Boy Scout camp up the road from Buells. I bought violets and other plants every year. I am sorry they are not around anymore My husband ran the camp many years along with others. Sandra Manning

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Sandra, this is an old post but I am glad you joined in! Did you see the post above mine about the facebook account? I guess others are interested in information also! Rosie

• William Forrest
    2 years ago

I met Mr Buell at a New England growers conference in the 1980s. Someone asked him ”How many people do you have working for you?” He replied ”About half”

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

Well said! I think that could be true with any company! Funny!!!!! Rosie