Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

Mini Sinn., selfing a self

korina
11 years ago

Hi, I have a mini Sinningia, Maiden's Blush x self, and I'm letting it keep the five or so seed pods it's started. I'm just curious what I can expect from it crossing with itself again. My plant is much pinker than Maiden's Blush, and a very happy camper (third(!) flush of blooms coming).

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

There's no way to know for sure what will come out of this selfing until the seeds have sprouted and the resulting plants bloom. Most will likely resemble the parent plant closely. Continued selfing of plants does tend to bring out the recessive genes though, and some very interesting things could come out of that.

• korina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooh, interesting. Thanks! :-)

• korina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ta da! I have teeny, tiny, itty bitty sprouts! Lots of them! Lots and LOTS of them. I'm SO glad I know other plant fiends. :-)

• korina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and a quick question; my plant hugs the pot pretty good; there is no space between the leaves at all. They're not brittle or anything, so do you think this might be too much light, or is that just the way she grows? Any advice would be appreciated.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Your plant is getting large and the big tuber is now supporting more than one stem, that's why it looks so full.
    As long as it is happy ...I usually keep them growing until each individual stem gets too long and ratty - that's the time to cut them off. If there is already new growth coming - repot now, if there is not - wait until it comes keeping the tuber on the dry side and then repot. The cut tips can be rootyed easily and they go to bloom again in 2 months. ANd then you will be really overwhelmed with Maiden Blush and its progeny. Do not grow all the seedlings- select 10 biggest, and repot- and live the rest in the old container under the cover in a kind of suspended animation. I do not believe you will have a lot of variety from selfing - so out of 10 you can probably get a good representation on what's there. You can keep moving the rest of them to the separate pots if you are interested - or just toss them if you decide that your experiment gave you the results you wanted. I am thinking that if you keep selfing the progeny the second should show what's there in genes - according to the old monk Mendel - and than the results should stabilize, there will be nothing new... you will get your recessive genes out - probably that's why you are getting more rosy results.
    I am thinking that the hybridizer of Maiden's Blush - was aiming for the blush - there are plenty of pink ones, white and creamy sinningias are more rare.

i.