Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
venezuela_gw

Venezuelan Gesnariad ID

venezuela
19 years ago

Just thought you folks might be able to give me at least a genus for these two natives from the about 2500 mts elevation in the Andes. Please see photos 127-129 of the Album, thanks chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Valencia- Merida

Comments (8)

• greenelbows
    19 years ago

Your pictures on the Tropical forum site have always given me so much pleasure, Chris, that I knew I was in for a treat with these. I'd love to be able to pay you back a little by identifying your plants, but the best I can do is point you in some possible directions. Are you familiar with the website of the AGGS, the official gesneriad site and the folks who keep track of gesneriad names? They have lots of pictures, but mostly of show plants. Judy Becker, at Lauray of Salisbury, is the keeper of the flame for registration and a very knowledgeable lady. The Gesneriad Reference Web has a lot of pictures of mostly species gesneriads, many collected in South America. Probably your best bet would be the website Brazilian Plants, which includes a very large number of gesneriads, or you could contact Mauro Peixoto himself (it's his site) at mpeixoto@uol.com.br. I suspect if anyone would know he would. Wish I could help more, and thanks again for the beautiful pictures. (Gotta go back for other volumes!)

• Begoniac
    19 years ago

The growth habit and leaves of the first one are very much like a species I have, which was collected in Ecuador (although it may be from somewhere else...long story). The leaves on mine, though, are darker, somewhat reddish, and the flowers are sky blue. I've been wanting an ID on it, so will investigate with the references that Nancy gave. If I find out the name I'll let you know.
    Elizabeth

• JohnnieB
    19 years ago

The second one is definitely an Episcia, either E. reptans or E. cupreata (the two species are very similar and easily confused).

I'm fairly certain the first one is a Corytoplectus species (a genus formerly included in Episcia).

• KarenMN
    19 years ago

Sorry I can't help you, but sure enjoyed the pictures!

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Hi, the #186, one you didn't ask about, is really interesting. It sounds from your description that it is a rhizomatous sp. such as achimenes or gloxinia. It doesn't look like any that I know and most likely has never been cultivated before or perhaps even a new species. The two that you asked about are interesting too, and also not in cultivation. What elevations were these found at. The corytoplectus has a nice distinct silver band, not seen in those that I know, though cutucuensis is all around showier. This one would be good to grow on from seed as berries are usually present. If you get seed, please send some to the AGGS seed fund or to a botanical garden that grows and distributes gesneriads. Strybing Arboretum in San Francisco, California has wonderful cool and humid conditions so would be a great place to grow on high elevation species. They also do a good job of sharing. Episicas are known from fairly low elevations but if yours is at 2500 meters that would really be something! It looks like a cv. from the wilds called 'La Solidad Bronze' in its pattern. There was also a 'La Solidad Green', which I never saw and is no longer cultivated as far as I know. They were collected in either Venezuela or Peru and as I recall from recent conversations are known to be more cold tolerant than other episcias. They are considered to be cupreatas but who knows??--maybe they would be a new species. The bronze one has that same pattern of silver on the midrib with a solid bronze leaf otherwise.

The other pictures on your site look pretty wonderful and I really will have to find time to look at the non-gesneriads!

Jon

• venezuela
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all for the interest and help with these. I apologize for not answering sooner but I was away from my computer for over a month. I actually did collect seed from the first two plants but didn't know who to send them to. I will be going up there again and will get more so now I need the mailing address for the gesnariad society people--or the complete web site address. these plants were collected at about 2000 mts elevation. Cool but not cold. there are many others higher up maybe siningias or kohlerias mostly with scaley rhizomes. By the way, the first two fotos are of the same plant, the third one is the Episcia. chris

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Hi Chris, the AGGS web site is at www.aggs.org The seed fund chairpersons are Bob and Carol Connolly. They will be giving up the seed fund in a few months but you can send seed to them. There is a link to them on the web site somewhere. I will have to look and post again.

• venezuela
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have two different Episcias from the same general area. One is green and one is bronze both with the silvery stripe. Maybe they are "La Soledad Green" and "La Soledad Bronze" and now come to think of it, there is a small village called La Soledad in the area where I collected them. I guess that solves the puzzle. I will get in touch with the AGGS and see if they are interested in seeds of whatever I find. chris

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!