Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

Daylily Festival find

greenelbows1
16 years ago

The Daylily Festival is an annual plant fest with lots of other interesting plants, and many at ridiculously low prices (always nice, but tends to make me buy too much!) Lots of venders are 'just folks' who like to grow things, and sell their extras. Some groups, like the local garden club, get their members to bring whatever they want to. I'm not sure which group it was, but there were three or four quite large plants in gallon pots labeled ?hardy gloxinia? Well, I'm kinda working on collecting hardy (at least here!) gesneriads, and I'm 99% sure this is a sinningia, and it doesn't look like any I'm growing (I think! Some I haven't had long enough to be really sure about.) Any, I'm pretty pleased! Think it cost something like 4 bucks.

Comments (7)

• bubba62
    16 years ago

There's a plant called Incarvellia delavayi (sp?) that's been sold for years as "Hardy Gloxinia", but it's not a gesneriad - it's actually in the bignonia family, I think (same as trumpet and cross vines). Biggest giveaway would be leaves that are pinnate (like a coarse fern shape) as opposed to undivided. An image search would help you decide. I haven't had much luck with it in coastal VA, probably due to poor drainage and hot, humid nights in the summer, but I think it's also a rather short-lived plant in general. There are perennials, and then there are perennials...

There are definitely many sinningias which are proving to be hardy, so it could be one of those, too. I grow S. selloviae, tubiflora, speciosa (has been hardy in raised beds, kept dry in winter with mulch), and a few others outdoors here and they've done well, even though our last two winters have been relatively warm. Gloxinia nematanthodes has become a welcome weed in my garden, and I have a few more sinningias, along with some kohlerias, achimenes, and eucodonias with which I'm planning to experiment this winter, having increased my stock to the point where I can afford to risk a few.

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been kind of curious about Incarvillia, and wondered if maybe I could grow it here--think there are two species available fairly frequently, and maybe the other one would do better. I can't remember the name right now. I've had S. tubiflora for quite a few years and it does well--would do better if things didn't keep growing around it so it gets more shade than it prefers! Bloomed very well this spring, but I've read it should keep blooming. I got too many at once and haven't pounded the names into my thick skull in some cases, and didn't do a very good job of keeping track of which ones needed sun and which needed half or full shade. Right now I have sellovii and conspicua and something else I can't remember in bloom--they've been in the ground over the winter and some for several winters. I'm concerned about the conspicua--we've had a lot of rain the last couple weeks and it's sorta falling apart like another one did earlier, and I'm worried it didn't get enough drainage. I think I have Gloxinia nematanthodes--wish my brain would function!--but I've only had it about a year. Looks good, and it's got good drainage where it is. There's another one I used to have and will try to remember that I'm pretty sure would be hardy for you, that's not one of those species you mention. I'll get back to you if I can find it! (Lost mine when I had the privilege of living overseas for a year. Lost a lot of things! But it was very interesting and educational.)

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was pretty sure Lauray of Salisbury had it, so I looked there, and she does. It's Hemiboea subcapitata, and she says it's hardy as far north as Baltimore. I have always been very pleased with the plants and cuttings I've gotten from her too.

• bubba62
    16 years ago

In got H. subcapitata from Lazy S's farm and nursery (nice website, and a good ordering experience) this spring, and it's doing well. Another ges. that's been totally hardy for me for many years is Titanotrichum oldhamii - great big yellow and red tubular blooms in fall, forming big clumps of foliage. I think that originally came from Plant Delights.

S. conspicua does seem sensitive to overwatering; I'm trying a variation on the British system of growing alpines in "plunge" beds this year with that and several other things. I built a raised bed, filled it with a sand/peat mix, and put the actual plants in wide clay pots. The plan is to keep the soil surrounding the pots moist, but not to actually water the pots unless we go a long time without rain. Sort of the idea behind capillary matting and wick watering, only adapted to outdoor growing. I figure I can always pull the pots out for better drainage in the event of really heavy rain, etc.

Another thing I'm trying is companion planting of South African bulbs (Eucomis, Crocosmia, Galtonias, and Gladiolus species) with tuberous gesneriads in large pots. I store the bulbs almost dry in their pots (I use 4 gallon nursery containers) over the winter in the garage, and they like lots of summer moisture, so the cultural needs are similar. I figure the gesneriads will make a nice, trailing groundcover for the bulbs in the summer, the bulbs will provide shelter and a bit of shade for the achimenes, gloxinia, and eucodonias, and I won't have to actually dig anything up for fall storage.

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That sounds like a good idea--both the plunge bed and the S.A. bulb cover, actually. I have several Eucomis in the ground and they seem to be doing fine--was a little worried when pole-evansia was slow to show up this spring, but it looks good now. Had one sinningia in a pot in my little make-shift 'greenhouse' I use mostly for winter storage (car-port is too open!)and I forgot it on the bottom shelf behind things. It was several inches high--well, wide, 'cause it didn't have space to grow up--when I found it. Went right ahead and bloomed, and is now sending up a new shoot from its caudex-like tuber. Neat family! I've been meaning to get Titanotrichum for some time now--but the same is true about fifty gillian other plants! 'So many plants, so little time!'

• vickster257
    16 years ago

What is the complete name for Lauray of Salisbury for their e-mail address as I couldn't access it? Thank you. Vicki

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I regularly just google 'Lauray of Salisbury' and it comes right up, but I have a friend who couldn't get it either. Don't know why. If I weren't so computer-illiterate I'd give you a clickable link--but google should work for you. Some search engines are better for some things, others for others. And by the way, the Gesneriad Society website is very useful, and they probably have clickable links for quite a few places. And Yucca Do Nursery in Texas has had quite a few hardy gessies, mostly sinningias, lately, as does Plant Delights Nursery. (I google those too!) Just by the way--I wanted to look up some plants my son bought at the Master Gardeners sale today, and I have some pretty good books--but couldn't find anything about the first one I wanted to check on. So I googled it. Learned lots--how hardy it is, how to propagate it, and most interesting that it's used medicinally and may be just what I need for a little problem the doctor hasn't been able to clear up! I love google! (Not a paid advertisement!)

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer