Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsimpson_gw

Unknown Kohleria

bsimpson
13 years ago

Well, here's the deal:

I've got a Kohleria-cutting last year from Garfield Park Conservatory. They had labeled it as K. hirsuta. From my own, rather flimsy research, it could be K. "Dark Velvet"

It has not bloomed for me yet, which might be the problem here.

In high light, the leaves are brownish-bronze on the top and purplish on the back with a very pronounced, light midvein. In most mature leaves, the "bronze"-color runs down the petiole almost down to the axil.

The margins are serrate. the shape is, in my amateur opinion, elliptic. with some more or less pronounced tip.

Opposite leaves. Round stems. Sometimes with a hint of square-shape.

Stems are hirsute with white hairs.

Leaves feel like velcroe. All hairs on the leaves seem to be the the same short length and feel like "rough velvet" on the top and real soft on the bottom.

In the right light, the bottoms of the leaves are purple, like in other Gesneriads.

Cuttings root within 3 or 4 days (!)

Now, if I only could figure out, how to post some pics (Which I ave available), I'd be glad to do so......

Oh, and if anyone wants a cutting, I'd be happy to swap with pretty much anyone else, growing Kohlerias.

My K."Jester" and "Peridot's Potlach" are just not ready yet (just got the Rhizomes) but I'd be happy to swap, once they're ready to!

OMG! What a mess! :)))))

Thanks so much

Olaf

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21