Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non blooming achimenes

Posted by frank1965 z8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 23:52

So when is it going to bloom? Seems healthy enough- 3 hrs of direct sun then bright filtered after that. Never allowed to wilt, slow release fert, plenty of humidity in Louisiana. What's up with this?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non blooming achimenes

Any way you can give it more light? I can't help but notice long internodes between the leaf sets. I bit more light should help get blooms.

o

More light, really? I was under the impression that they liked shade or part shade. This is 'Purple King' which I understand is a relatively big cultivar- so maybe the long internodes. I have another cultivar that gets the same amount of sun and it is much shorter. Anymore sun and and I would be afraid of scorching. It wilts already when the hot sun hits it even when it is well watered. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. Thanks for answering so quick.

o

I haven't grown many achimenes and really feel like I'm just beginning to understand them, but mine never bloom this early. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my impression is they are more likely to bloom maybe mid-summer to fall. I always get bloom--unless I'm just unforgivably lax about watering!--but never before maybe mid- to late summer. Hope someone who grows a lot of them will chime in!

That is a really gorgeous Purple King! I grow mine with less sun than that, and they do bloom well--just later. And yeah, we do have humidity in Louisiana, don't we? So many plants love it that I've learned to appreciate it--until my nose and earlobes start dripping!

o

Mine are in a shaded but HOT sunporch - mine don't bloom until late July. I think it's just a bit early, so be patient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here