Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrapots

What if I cut back my lipstick vine?

Terrapots
19 years ago

I have a lipstick vine which had been blooming on some of the tips but the branches are so long, about 2', with new growth at the end. It really needs pruning but I would like to start a new plant from cuttings. There's lots of bad looking old growth with nice new growths and I guess this is where any blooms will show up. Is it too late to trim? and what part of the stem do I try to root when I do cut it. Any help I would appreciate.

Comments (3)

• larry_b
    19 years ago

There is a thread on the house plant forum talking about the same thing you are asking about. Below is the link.

Have fun,

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Lipstick plant propagation

• ladyblue_101_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

Kind of off topic here however i have been reading up on these vines and all i see is propagation has to be done thru cuttings, NOT TRUE!! A guy down the street has his lipstick vines outside and growing up poles, about two weeks ago i noticed that it had pods hanging off of it so i picked a nice black pod, inside was one of the prettiest seeds i've ever seen in my life! it is black and pink and tan and white and a little bigger than a lima bean. The man told me that he covered his the first couple years he had them outside (midwest winters get cold) but now he is going to see how they do without winter covers. anyways i took my seed home and quickly got a yougurt container and planted the seed in it, watered it and put in a tall plastic baggie. 3-4 days later it had pushed one green stem with two leaves on it, 2 days later and it was bending over because it had reached the top of the baggie. I opened the baggie and 2 days later it had it's second set of leaves. The stems are quite long. In my research i have seen it used as houseplants but you can put it outside to climb or mound. It likes to be rootbound to bloom and is polinated by the birds. The man i got the pods from (i went back for another with 5 seeds in it! lol) anyhow he said you can bake the seeds like pumpkin seeds and eat them. I'm quite anxious to see what becomes of these as they grow thru the winter and plan to plant at least one outside in the ground to climb my fence and one hanging on the deck. If i'm successful and get blooms my first year i'll let ya all know! Have fun with these plants folks, they are not as delicate as you would think. Good luck to all you fans of the lipstick plant!!

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Bextir -

What you see at your neigbour pole - is not the lipstick we are talking about. The tropical plant Aeschynathus will not survive freezing temperatures, it is not a climbing wine and it's seeds are miniscule, dry and have a fuzzy attachment to fly with the wind.

Common names can be deceiving, there can be more than one species called the same.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeschynanthus lobbianus