Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Gesneriad?

Posted by myrmecodia 7 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 7:13

My mother in law gave me cuttings of this plant a couple of years ago, and it has finally bloomed. It has trailing stems with rigid, semi-succulent leaves flushed with purple coloration. Flowers are purple

Picture of unknown plant

Any idea what it might be?

Thanks.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Gesneriad?

Yes, that's a gesneriad, either a species or hybrid of the genus Aeschynanthus but your plant hasn't actually bloomed yet; what you're seeing are the decorative calyces. When it finally blooms (actually when the unopened buds start poking out of the calyces) you'll find out why it's commonly called "lipstick plant"!

o
RE: Is this a Gesneriad?

Thank you. That would explain why, when I dissected a "flower" I found a bud inside that seemed to contain immature flower parts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here