Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aes123_gw

Strep help.

aes123
18 years ago

I got my first strep (Bristol's Party Girl) about two weeks ago. It appears to be suffering under my care. I bought four other gesneriads at the same time, and they seem to be fine. I'm growing about 8-10 inches below cool white fluorescent bulbs that were replaced in mid-April. The plant pictured is in a 2.5" pot, I allow the soil to dry out almost completely before placing the pot into a tray of room tempurature water for ten minutes. Humidity is kept up by growing each plant in a tray filled with aquarium gravel and half-filled with water.

Any ideas, hints, tips, etc?

{{gwi:834881}}

Thanks, Allan

Comments (10)

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

Allan, Try letting it dry out more, and put it in a bright window. I water mine from the top when dry, only a little bit of water, though, when they are as small as yours. Once every 2 weeks or so, I give it a bigger drink. You didn't say how long you keep your lights on for... Where did you get this strep?

Also, have you checked your water? That might be a culprit.

I've found that some streps just languish, and others do really well. I think it depends on the plant as much as your culture. Other plants of BPG might do really well for you in the same culture.

What I've found about streps is, they're really not picky. Ignore it for a while and see what happens.

Hope this helps,

-Mo (WV)

• aes123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, let's see if I can answer some of your followup questions:
    The lights are on for 13 hours, on a timer.
    I got the strep from Rob's Violets
    Checked my water? What should I be checking for?

I can certainly just ignore it more, and hope for the best, but it looks so sad with its leaf all limp and hanging over the side of the pot. :(

• komi
    18 years ago

in cases like that, I would stick it under a propagation dome or put it in a puffed up ziploc bag. Make sure the soil is only slightly moist when you do this so that it doesn't get too humid inside (and rot away). If you're not sure about the moisture level, maybe cover it loosely so that it's vented. The added humidity should help the leaves sustain themselves. (Strep leaves can recover from a completely wilted state - not that I'm recommending you try it!)

I would also move it further away from the light, at least until it starts to grow well. How many tubes are you using? I use 4 tubes and my streps are grown further away.

One other thing to consider, perhaps for later, is the density of your potting mix. I use a very light porous mix for the streps - significantly lighter than the AVs.

Hope some of this helps, and good luck.

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

I've heard some folks say that there's quite an adjustment period on stuff they get from Rob's. I personally, repot ASAP because the mix is too heavy for my culture.

Also, a friend who recently got a shipment from Rob's had this experience:

She took some stuff to her work (a greenhouse) and some she kept at home. The stuff at work all developed powdery mildew, and the ones at home didn't. When she tested it under the microscope, though, the ones at home had it too. Perhaps your plant has powdery mildew. Some types can be treated with dilute milk, but she said that Rob's strain was resistant. I did have it on an AV I got from there, and sprayed some streps for good measure.

When I say check the water, I mean for pH and chemicals. You might try using distilled or bottled water on it for the next month or two. Not that expensive, in such a small quantity. I recommended the water check because Dale Martens, renowned gessie hybridizer, moved from TX to IL a couple of years ago and when she did, she lost at least one plant to the water in IL. Turns out, she was on a well there that was too alkaline, I think. You're shooting for water that's about neutral.

You could also call Rob's and ask them for direct advice. The bad thing is, if you change the light, repot, and spray, you might stress the poor thing into non-existence.

HTH,
    -Mo (WV)

• gardenmom
    18 years ago

I got Party Girl, Jelly Bean, and Woof Woof from Rob's a few years ago. All 3 are blooming happily right now. I have them in the self-watering violet pots from Lowe's, and they're on a south window. I made cuttings of the Jelly Bean and all 3 of them are in bloom. I think I'll trade out at least one of them later.
    Hang in there with the plants. I use regular potting soil that I've added about 1/4 perlite. It seems to work OK.

• razz
    18 years ago

`What soil are you using? I use 1part av soli to at least 3 parts perilite. your plant looks like it may be two wet. remember they can handle to dry but not to wet.
    raz

• mwedzi
    18 years ago

I agree that Rob's mix is just not compatible with many home growers. It's super dense. Plants that I leave in Rob's mix, under my care, tend to go downhill. I especially have trouble with baby streps like yours in other people's mixes. Same for the streps I've gotten from Logee's. (Anyone know if their mix has some real soil in it? It seemed like it a little) I don't know why streps in particular are so susceptible. So despite the general advice of waiting for plants to acclimate before repotting, I always repot plants soon after getting them, especially streps. Then I keep the mix slightly damp and they eventually seem to do alright.

• aes123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to everyone that's responded; I appreciate taking time to lend some advice. I've slowed the plant's watering, and I've already noticed that it appears to be holding its own a little better. I'll keep it dry and see what happens. If I continue to experience problems, I'll repot using lighter soil.

What are some tips for doing this that can help reduce the likelyhood that I kill the poor plant in the process?

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

I think it makes everyone nervous to repot in the beginning - still does me on occasion. Just kind of push up the bottom of the pot and gently work it out of there. Unless the roots are filling the soil (which I doubt), repot it back into the same container. Or sometimes I put them into the single serving applesauce containers or La Creme containers, with holes in the bottom.

I usually try to gently take off some of the old mix, which is pretty compacted and just pot it back with the new stuff. You'll never be able to get all the old stuff off, I just make sure the loose stuff comes off. Water lightly.

Hint: Do this while your plant is damp, and make sure the new mix is just damp too, not wet.

-Mo (WV)

• bgrow
    18 years ago

I think you ought to look at this site I don't have the answer but I am sure you will find it helpful. I sure did. I found it very informative and they have some really good advice on their forums.
    http://users.sisna.com/carlynn1/indexstreps.html

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting