Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

AGGS flower show photos

JohnnieB
19 years ago

Last week's annual convention of the American Gloxinia and Gesneriad Society on Long Island, NY was a great success and had a wonderful flower show (on top of an amazing plant sale, great lectures, some very nice tours, and lots and lots of camaraderie!). I took a bunch of photos of the flower show and have put them in my Yahoo photo album (link below). Warning: the quality is very uneven, the photos are in no particular order, and I haven't finished editing them; there are no captions yet but I hope to add them over the next few days.

BTW I saw Jon D. who used to post regularly in this forum. He's doing well, but his computer is not working and he simply hasn't been able to get online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower show photos

Comments (9)

• KarenMN
    19 years ago

Gorgeous pictures!

Wanted to get there myself, but was too busy working. Especially wanted to buy things, like hard to find things, new hybrids....

What did you get?

Thank you so much for sharing and also for your previous advice.

KMN

• komi
    19 years ago

Thanks for sharing the photos. I hope you get around to putting captions up - esp. for nos. 3518, 3555, 3571, 3602 and 3608.

• JohnnieB
    Original Author
    19 years ago

3518=Chirita 'Little Dragon' (a new hybrid)
    3555=Kohleria hybrid (unnamed, I believe)
    3571=Kohleria 'Silver Feather' (a new hybrid)
    3602=Sinningia sp. or hybrid (sorry, can't remember)
    3608=Phinaea sp. USBRG 96-336 (a new, unnamed species from Ecuador)

• komi
    19 years ago

Thanks!!! And thanks again for posting pictures. Also find your yard really informative - esp on borderline hardy plants.

• carol23_gw
    19 years ago

Wow, I just loved the photos! Big on foliage, I especially enjoyed the Chiritas, especially 'Cynthia'!
    What are 3527 and 3528? I tried using a magnifying glass over the monitor but it was too blurry.

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Really want to thank you for the photos. Finally made it all the way through--my equipment is SO slow!! so I kept coming back. Wish I could have gone. Fascinating new and different things. Really enjoyed them and want to thank you again.
    Nancy

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Really appreciate your pictures, JohnnieB. Took my very slow 'machinery' forever to let me view them all, but I kept coming back 'til I finished the 'job'--more like a joy! Definitely will come back for more looking too. Thank you again.
    Nancy

• jon_d
    19 years ago

OK, OK, so I procrastinated a little. I did do a better job of watering while I was off line. Patrick Worley came up this weekend for a quick visit and fixed my computer. I didn't even ask him to do this. He just brought his disks and insisted on doing it. So, I am on line though the email doesn't yet work. And, here I am on the computer when I really should be watering! Its a warm but not overly hot day here. Hmm maybe it is getting too hot?? I should go.

I only got a few plants at convention since I really have reached my uppermost limit and decided to leave the sales plants for newbies to buy. But, you know how it is. I came home with a carry on bag full of starts--maybe 15-20 or so. I got oddball things like columneas, but also four or five chiritas that look interesting--one called 'Betty' is really nice--a more colorful 'Hisako'. I got a species called liboensis which I know nothing about except someone at the convention said it was a really good species--???. I also got a strep and a few kohlerias, two codonanthes, some aeschynanthus, um, and a bunch of other stuff. I finally repotted everything on Friday--all had survived for a month in their tiny starter plants but now can grow in their slightly larger pots. I got a kohleria allenii which I needed to replace ( I think I lost it??--either that, or I now have two plants). Its a big monster--tender if outside but good for a sunny window I think. I thought it had a very noticable smell kind of like Avid, but now I suspect it just had been sprayed with Avid rather than smelling like the stuff. I also bought some back up plants of petrocosmea begoniifolia for half price at the end of the sale. These are just so choice, except that they are already old stuff to the regular AGGS convention goers. My two year old plant, outside in the shade is blooming now--white flowers with some yellow in the throat.

Jon

• susancarol
    19 years ago

I enjoyed your pictures so much, Johnnie B! Especially the Chirita balansae, Cynthia, and Little Dragon. The pic of the Petrocosmeas were awesome!!

Thanks again..Good photography!

Susan

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living