Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpus ID w/Pictures

Posted by clintdawley z8 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 07 at 10:16

Hi all! I've had this plant for a little over a year now and it pretty much blooms non-stop with a short break in the dark days of winter. The leaves are about 12" long and it produces these lavender on lavender flowers. Any idea as to which hybrid this is? Or maybe which species it most represents?

Thanks in advance. Clint

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpus ID w/Pictures

• Posted by komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 18:35

hey Clint! what on earth are you doing over here?

I'm not much of a strep grower so I am going out of my way to guess: it looks like a hybrid. (Honestly more interested in that nicely compact-looking catt you've got there... heh.)

If I had to guess, I would guess some kentaniensis parentage (the narrow leaves) and some floribundus.... but like I said, I could be waaaaaay off base.

Streps self- and cross-pollinate easily, so it's difficult to ID most of them. If you want to look at more pics, here's some photos of species and here's another website (more hybrids).

Personally I think you should be growing Sinningia and Drymonia and Tricantha and Aeschynanthus..... or Huernia or Orbea or..... lol. I've been neglecting the orchids this year...

o

Hey KI!

Nice to finally have some sort of reply after almost a month. This forum must be really slow. (The compact catt is Blc. Laddawan Beauty.)

Thanks again for the hints. I'll have to look at those other genera as I'm not sure what they heck most of them are! (I'm so not familiar with most other non-orchid plants!)

o

Hi CLint, First time for me on the gesneriad site. What a beautiful Strep. It looks like you might be growing it in clay hydroponic pellets. Is that right? donnaviola

o

Nope. Just regular ol' Miracle Grow AV soil and a wick watering pot.

o

Clint, That looks like Heidi.
Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Heidi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here